MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by Meta (DigYourGig)|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Another Republican leaves the party and trashes Trump on the way out   Politics

Started 1/24/19 by Meta (DigYourGig); 143 views.
Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

1/24/19

Republican California Assemblymember Brian Maienschein switched parties and blamed President Donald Trump for ruining the GOP.

“Donald Trump has led the Republican party to the extreme on issues that divide our country,” Maienschein said according to CBS Sacramento.

He said, in part:

“I believe that government exists to support families, protect the community and give people the opportunity to fulfill their dreams. At that time, I thought the Republican party stood for those values. I still believe in those values. Today’s Republican party does not. Donald Trump has led the Republican party to extremes that divide our country.

“But his leadership is not the only reason for my change in party affiliation. I too have changed. As the Republican party has drifted further right, I and my votes have shifted to the left.

“Leaving the Republican party is not easy. I can either keep fighting to change the Republican party, or I can fight for my constituents. I choose to use my energy and my skills to fight for the people that I represent.”

Knotpicky (RUTA)

1/24/19

He's slow, very slow, very late and slow:

As for why he switched parties, Maienschein cites his opposition to peoples’ right to own automatic weapons, his support for labor unions, his support of women’s right to choose to have an abortion, his opposition to families that violate immigration laws being separated, and his support of universal access to healthcare.

All of those issues have been Democratic Party positions for years. Years that the GOP has voted the opposite, has voted to hurt the populace, has moved to the extreme right, to fascism.

I guess "better late than never" but... very late.

RGoss99

2/7/19

To bad this guy is only in the state legislature, if he was in the U.S. senate, his change of party would have meant a lot more.