MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Restaurant won't serve anyone wearing a MAGA hat   News

Started Jan-31 by DigYourGig; 386 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Jan-31

Bay Area restaurant owner won't serve customers wearing MAGA hats

SAN MATEO, Calif. -- A San Mateo restaurant owner says customers will not be served if they are wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

It hasn’t happened yet, but if you come to my restaurant wearing a MAGA cap, you aren’t getting served, same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate.

— J. Kenji “Individual Fun” López-Alt (@kenjilopezalt) January 27, 2019

Kenji Lopez-Alt of Wursthall Restaurant says it would be the "same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate."

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Jan-31

I wonder if right-wingers will start screaming about discrimination against them, while they screamed that the bakery owner should be allowed to discriminate. I agree with the chef, but we'll see how it works out.

DigYourGig
Host

Jan-31

That was my thought. They cheer a baker not wanting to make cakes for gay people, but their heads will explode over this.

6686L

Jan-31

good point !

DigYourGig
Host

Feb-1

A restaurateur in San Mateo, California, has apologized after announcing a ban on anyone wearing "Make America Great Again" hats, CBS San Francisco reports. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, a chef and partner at Wursthall Restaurant and Bierhaus, tweeted on Sunday that he wouldn't serve anyone who enters his restaurant with one of President Trump's signature caps.

The "MAGA" hat ban tweet was taken down later, but it had already sparked both support and criticism. The restaurant's Facebook and Yelp pages were quickly overloaded with negative comments, forcing the social media sites to shut down the comment sections, CBS San Francisco reported. 

Lopez-Alt posted an apology on Medium Friday

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Feb-1

So there it is. He apologized and will serve everyone. Has that baker ever apologized and promised to serve everyone? That county clerk was fired, as I recall, for refusing to give marriage license applications to same-sex couples.

But the hypocrisy of right-wingers continues unabated.

Here's another MAGA hat wearer:
http://juanitajean.com/alert-houston-has-all-kinds-of-people/
https://www.joemygod.com/2019/01/texas-armed-trump-supporter-arrested-at-houston-library-hosting-drag-queen-story-hour-event-video/

That idiot went into a library, armed, to disrupt a storytime event for little kids. I stand by my assessment of MAGA hat wearers - they're violent, and if not committing violent acts themselves, they condone and support and encourage violence.

6686L

Feb-1

raises an interesting question - similarities between the cases where homosexuals wanted "equal protection under the law" when going into a store that serves the public.  I read somewhere that we have a case here in Arizona about that -  i.e.   whose rights are greater...some religious or political nut...or the general public's?    I personally believe that once you make the decision to deal with the public, you must honor the public's laws.  so I must relunctantly agree with those who say that if you decide to go into a business that serves the public,  you cannot discriminate absent some legit public health/safety issue.

I don't know why this is such an issue.  Nearly all restaurants have dress codes ("No shoes, no shirt, no service"), and many have refused service to people wearing what are deemed "provocative" clothing.  Can you imagine a crowd of people coming in in full Nazi regalia?  With the MAGA cap having become a new symbol of the so-called Alt-Right (just a smaller, less ostentatious version of a Klan hood), I think that a restaurant telling someone they would have to leave the cap outside is just an effort to maintain some order and decorum.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Feb-2

I think it's an issue because RWNJs are hypocrites and want to be as obnoxious as they wish, while demanding decorum and respect from everyone else.

Snick1946

Feb-2

You nailed it. Every one of the old farts I have encountered wearing one of these things has been a passive aggressive ass hat. I live in Nebraska and they are ll over the place here. I stopped participating in some local hobby clubs I used to enjoy because of these guys wearing them when they attended. I will not socialize with someone wearing one.