MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Northam in blackface photo controversy   Politics

Started Feb-1 by DigYourGig; 618 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Feb-1

Gov. Ralph Northam’s Yearbook Page Includes Blackface, KKK Photo: Report

A photo on Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook page shows one man in blackface and another in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, The Virginian-Pilot reports. The newspaper obtained a copy of the 1984 yearbook from the Eastern Virginia Medical School library on Friday, confirming the photo was on Northam’s page. 

• Edited February 1, 2019 4:52 pm  by  DigYourGig
48mirage

Feb-1

Looks bad, obviously poor judgement.  35 years is a long time.  I believe my level of conscientiousness has matured in 35 years.  And yes, I expect some to challenge that idea.  I promise I was more ignorant in my 20's.

DigYourGig
Host

Feb-1

So far, four of the Democratic candidates for president have called on him to step aside.

Hector442

Feb-2

I'm surprised opposition research didn't discover this until now.

A 25-year-old medical school graduate in 1984 should have had the judgment to know that blackface and KKK regalia are obvious manifestations of racism.  Northam should resign immediately.

DigYourGig
Host

Feb-2

And what the hell is up with that medical school that they thought that was appropriate to put in their yearbook?

In reply toRe: msg 5
DigYourGig
Host

Feb-2

Northam, after confirming he was in the photo, is now trying to backtrack and claim he doesn't remember taking the picture. And he says he won't resign.

Time to force him out.

Hector442

Feb-2

That's like the time Trump claimed the voice on the Hollywood Access tape wasn't his.

Hector442

Feb-2

The people who ran the Virginia medical school in 1984 were probably over 50 years old, which means they were born in 1934 or prior to 1934, which means they grew up in a segregated environment and probably accepted it as normal. 

• Edited February 2, 2019 12:46 pm  by  Hector442
In reply toRe: msg 9
6686L

Feb-2

I am confused - what's the latest on this - has it been confirmed one way or the other who is telling the truth and who is lying - specifically, is or is NOT that "black-face" picture the governor ?  Anyone know ?