MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Boy killed for not knowing verses   Religion

Started Feb-2 by DigYourGig; 156 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Feb-2

According to a report from Fox 11 News, a 7-year-old boy died following punishment meted out by one his guardians for failing to remember 13 Bible verses.

The report states that Timothy Hauschultz, 48 of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, has been charged with felony murder and five other charges in the death of Ethan Hauschultz, who was reportedly buried in snow before he died.

Timothy Hauschultz, Tina McKeever-Hauschultz -- Mugshots

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Feb-2

That is disgusting, ordering such punishment that amounted to torture. I hope they never have custody of any child. We'll see what happens in their trial. This reinforces my distrust and dislike of right-wing religious nuts.

Snick1946

Feb-3

In the past I've shared my experience as having grownup in this culture. my dad was a Baptist preacher. A lot f things I grew up with now appear to me what they were- brainwashing mind control. 

I was also punished for not being able to memorize scripture. This is a classic brainwashing technique. The excuse I heard was that 'you'll always have the Bible with you, even if they are taken away by unbelievers'. 

I wasn't able to bring up the linked story, someone may want to check the link. Very tragic; these two need to get serious prison time. Hey thy can shield themselves in there by reciting Bible verses.. 

Sparks500

Feb-3

Can’t you just feel the love of god?

Further convinces me that religion is a mental disease....

RGoss99

Feb-6

I notice that guardian and kid have the same surname. As the word "guardian" is used, I wonder what the relation between them was, and why. 

If the guardianship status was informal, this happens within families legally under certain circumstances. However in law, it is illegal to deed your children

to another without a court getting involved, in which case, there would be some state agent from social services who should have been monitoring the situation.

RGoss99

Feb-6

As these "right wing religious nuts" claim Jesus as their model, I wonder how far Christianity would have gotten if Jesus used these methods in gathering his flock.

RGoss99

Feb-6

If one dumped a bunch of humans on a desert island, and arranged it that they would not lack things necessary for their survival, what are the chances that without brain washing they would come up with even a small percentage of what is preached in the name of Christianity today. I would say that less then 90% of what is preached in the name of Christianity has nothing to do with even the edited versions of what Christ actually did and said. As in post 5 below, no religion as a concept is a healthy thing, the problems is the mentally diseased persons who control most doctrinal religious messages.

When I was in primary, a religious school, the Catholics made a saint out of a girl, who said no to a potential rapist was raped anyway, then killed.

Message to me was, if rape is inevitable, it is better to die then to live.