MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by Meta (DigYourGig)|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gucci pulls "blackface sweater" after complaints   News

Started 2/7/19 by Meta (DigYourGig); 259 views.
Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

2/7/19

Gucci pulls 'blackface sweater' from stores after complaints

Image result for gucci blackface sweater

Gucci has apologized after complaints that a wool sweater with an oversized collar designed to cover the face resembled blackface makeup, and said the item had been pulled from its online and physical stores.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

2/7/19

I'm glad they pulled the item from stores and website. That red around the cutout for the mouth had to be intentional, intentionally racist.

Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

2/7/19

I see this and I wonder how someone could see the same thing and decide, "Nope, there's nothing wrong with that!"

MSurkont

2/16/19

I have an all black ski mask, is that racist?  My glasses do get steamed up when I wear it, though.  Why don't they make it another color, like yellow or red or brown or whitish? 

Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

2/16/19

An all-black ski mask does not resemble a very old, very offensive racist caricature.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

2/16/19

Blackface Hasn’t Just Returned — It Never Left

Recent instances of blackface — from Virginia’s Gov. Ralph Northam to Gucci’s fashion choices — only reinforce the unfailing consistency of American anti-black racism.

Blackface Hasn’t Just Returned — It Never Left

Knotpicky (RUTA)

2/16/19

Many many examples of racism. Whatever happened to the black guy and white guy arrested for drug dealing, where the black guy faced 15 years and the white guy 3 years in prison for the exact same deal? Have they been sentenced?

I read a review of McCabe's book that said Jeff Sessions spouted racial epithets as Atty. General. That's completely inappropriate for the top law enforcement person.

Our neighbor's experience in Florida with the guy kicking in the restaurant door and brandishing his loaded assault rifle and yelling that epithet, that's blatant racism. Yet blacks are required to take it, to not fight back.

You're right, that article is right. Blackface and racism never left, but the racism is more overt, more blatant now. It starts at the top, the White House.

48mirage

2/18/19

Knotpicky (RUTA) said:

...racism is more overt, more blatant now.

Sadly, I must agree.