Economy & Healthcare -  Basic Income experiment in Finland (97 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 4) 

To: All  (2 of 4) 
 47855.2 in reply to 47855.1 

Recipients in Finland’s trial said they felt “less stress symptoms as well as less difficulties to concentrate and less health problems than the control group,” according to researcher Minna Ylikanno. “They were also more confident in their future and in their ability to influence societal issues.”

Feeling less of the pernicious kind of stress that often results from unemployment is an inherent good. It’s also an instrumental good for any government looking to decrease the money it’ll later have to spend on citizens who develop the serious health problems that excessive stress can cause. Earlier experiments in basic income have highlighted this effect: In Dauphin, a town in Manitoba, Canada, a basic income scheme in the 1970s saw a decline in doctor visits and an 8.5 percent reduction in the rate of hospitalization.

What’s more, it’s important to note that although getting free money didn’t boost employment among the recipients, that’s not a failure per se — even though Finland would have preferred to see a boost. More to the point is the fact that getting a basic income didn’t induce people to work less. The notion that free money might have that effect has long been one of the main critiques of basic income, a critique that remains popular even though the evidence doesn’t support it. Now, the Finnish trial has added to the evidence discounting it.

To: Meta (DigYourGig)  (3 of 4) 
 47855.3 in reply to 47855.2 

I hope the final report on this experiment is positive. I look at the idea of a basic income as a safety net. Something that's always there if you lose your job or get a serious illness, a cushion to help you through tough times.

I'm not at all surprised that it didn't encourage recipients to work less. That's a conservative myth, a ploy to disparage welfare recipients or basic income recipients. The basic income isn't enough to make one rich, but it is enough to even out the bumps in life, or like the one recipient who used it as a cushion for starting her own business. The first years of a business can be rough, show a loss, and that cushion helps a lot.

To: All  (4 of 4) 
 47855.4 in reply to 47855.3 

I don't see anything unique or novel about the idea of "basic income".   We already have it here for hundreds of millions of people here in the USA,  some citizens, some not, called SOCIAL SECURITY.

The only difference I see is the idea of spreading the concept to include those who, for any number of reasons,  are not gainfully employed.

I don't see this an an option - it is something that sooner or later we are going to HAVE to accept.  The simple fact is,  as technology becomes more sophisticated,  combined with the idea of "off-shoring" jobs here in the USA to take advantage of cheaper labor overseas, there will be less jobs for more and more people.  Hungry people are dangerous.  I say "feed em" !

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.