MetaForum: politics/culture/news

Hosted by Meta (DigYourGig)|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

No more executions in California   News

Started Mar-13 by Meta (DigYourGig); 131 views.
Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

Mar-13

Gov. Gavin Newsom to block California death row executions, close San Quentin execution chamber

Los Angeles Times

Gov. Gavin Newsom to block California death row executions, close San Quentin execution chamber

Gov. Gavin Newsom, shown at a news conference in February, on Wednesday will sign an executive order imposing a moratorium on executions in California and has vowed that no prisoner will be put to death while he is governor. (Dania Maxwell / Los Angeles Times)

Gov. Gavin Newsom will sign an executive order on Wednesday to impose a moratorium on the death penalty in California, vowing that no prisoner in the state will be executed while he is in office because of a belief that capital punishment is discriminatory, unjust and “inconsistent with our bedrock values.”

The order will prevent the state from putting prisoners to death by granting temporary reprieves to all 737 condemned inmates on California’s death row, the largest in the nation. It will immediately close the execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison and scuttle the state’s ongoing efforts to devise a constitutional method for lethal injection. No inmate will be released and no sentence or conviction will be altered, the order says.

Newsom joins governors in Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania who have imposed moratoriums on executions in those states, all using executive powers.

nightlight88

Mar-13

Newsome  mentions 'bedrock' values.

What would these values consist of?

Meta (DigYourGig)
Host

Mar-13

Perhaps not killing innocent people due to mistakes in convictions. Another issue is how unevenly applied the death penalty is. All you need is money and you'll never die from it.

I'm not philosophically opposed to the death penalty. I believe there are crimes so horrific that the perpetrator forfeits his right to live. But the discriminatory way it's applied and the prevalence of mistakes in convictions renders the death penalty morally untenable.

6686L

Mar-14

I disagree with your comments about taking life by the state.  somewhere I recall a saying something like  ' better a thousand criminals go free than one innocent be convicted".

True...we want bad people removed from society...and if you kill em dead....that pretty well accomplishes the objective.   But it can be just as surely accomplished by life imprisonment.    Easier to undo a bad legal decision if the person is in a prison, rather than in the ground...!