Meta

Hosted by DigYourGig|Meta/Pulling To The Left group on Facebook

Politics, news, culture, entertainment. (If you don't want to view this forum in Zeta mode, you don't have to. Update your preferences and select "View all forums in Classic mode.)

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gun shows in neighboring states lead to jump in gun deaths   Culture & Society

Started Oct-24 by DigYourGig; 1166 views.
DigYourGig
Host

Oct-24

This is why we need national laws, not just state and local.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-gun-show-deaths-20171023-story.html

In the two weeks after a gun show is held in Nevada, injuries and deaths involving firearms jump by 69% — in neighboring areas of California.

However, when gun shows occur in California, the state does not experience an increase in firearm-related trauma over the next fortnight.

The findings, published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine, show that state gun laws have a measurable effect on public safety, especially when it comes to gun shows, the study authors wrote.

California, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, requires background checks even at gun shows. Nevada does not.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Oct-24

And here come the gun nuts - guns don't kill people. Trouble is, people can get their hands on guns more easily in NV than CA because of the lack of background checks in NV, and the lax laws there.

GOP cowards just can't stand up to the NRA. I might even label the NRA's threats against any congresscritter who doesn't do their bidding as terroristic.

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Oct-24

To law abiding individuals with  no urgency in purchase or acquisition, jumping through the FFL hoop to transfer a gun out of state is not a big deal.  When I sent my gun to the manufacturer for overhaul, I had to meet more strict rules with secure shipment, more than a simple drop in the mail situation;  I do not remember an FFL transaction but then again, if they had, no big deal.

Agreed. The FFL transfer is easy. Same as with buying guns "off the internet". It gets transferred from the seller to an FFL in his/her state, transferred to an FFL in the purchaser's state, and then after a successful NICS check, transferred to the purchaser.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Oct-25

From time to time and unethical seller will move a weapon in the gray areas of unregistered mail and sale, nothing short of government owned sales could even approach full control.  Mexico has among the strictest internal gun sales and rules rules in the modern world with what, one, legal gun store?  Who has guns down there?  Anyone that wants one.

Knotpicky (RUTA)

Oct-25

Bike (URALTOURIST1) said:

Mexico has among the strictest internal gun sales and rules rules in the modern world with what, one, legal gun store? Who has guns down there? Anyone that wants one.

Imported from the US, aren't they?

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Oct-25

Imported from wherever they are made is very likely.  Sometimes intermediate stops or resale points may exist.  Some come from where they are stolen, including from the Mexican military.

Knotpicky (RUTA) said...

Imported from the US, aren't they?

With help/permission from the ATF.

Even government owned sales wouldn't stop it.