Our Lost Tribe!

Hosted by gunter|gunter's page

olt! is a way station and oasis on the ancient road from Bedlam to Bellevue, dedicated to free and open discussion of topics moving heart and spirit.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

90 Miles West of Central Park   our lost tribe

Started 6/7/05 by Paul (SNOTZALOT); 42096 views.
bshmr

Aug-13

Actually, you looked up the recipe, I merely mentioned it being recommended eating by some men and beasts. They can snatch and devour a flower (leaf or small fruit) in the literal blink of an eye. Fun to watch but PITA around gardens and water. 

bshmr

Aug-13

They do consume grubs so I hope you let the striped skunk loose. Never seen a smaller spotted although they are supposed to be around. Look around for the Native American tale about how the (vain) striped skunk got its stripes and odor, owl has a part.

In reply toRe: msg 306
Paul (SNOTZALOT)

Aug-13

Harvest time!

2 hours later dinner!

gunter

Aug-16

dinner looks perfectly delicious!

gunter

Aug-16

Did find this story, not the Native American one I gather since it doesn't feature an owl.

bshmr

Aug-26

I failed to find it now, as well. I believe it is Lakota. Somewhere I also have a recording of a storyteller's telling of it, seems as though I have text too. In short: The skunk used to have gloriously all white, soft long fur which was the envy of many. The vain jerk bullied and teased some frankly less attractive owlets. The owlets were still bawling when their mother returned home. Enraged, she sought and found the skunk, grabbed him, carried him high and away. Spying a forest fire, the owl dropped the skunk in the middle of it then turned for home. On the way home, the calmed owl became contrite and returned to snatch the skunk from the fire. The fire is why the skunk is now mostly black, having lost most of it beautiful white fur, and stinks. And, the owl is considered wise for its introspection and self-correcting. 

gunter

Aug-28

bshmr said:

And, the owl is considered wise for its introspection and self-correcting.

an appropriate morale for our times ...