Our Lost Tribe!

Hosted by gunter|gunter's page

olt! is a way station and oasis on the ancient road from Bedlam to Bellevue, dedicated to free and open discussion of topics moving heart and spirit.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

about the author ...   currents

Started 3/30/22 by gunter; 44152 views.
In reply toRe: msg 329
gunter

Nov-11

Girl Scout cookies came in this.

greenie225

Nov-27

I actually watched about 15 minutes of football last night since they were in sudden death overtime when I was recording 60 Minutes.  I have never watched rugby or soccer.  I quit watching football a long time ago.  Got tired of the Vikings going to the Super Bowl and losing spectacularly.

greenie225

Nov-27

Oh, they forgot to teach them how to spell!  

That's funny!

gunter

Dec-12

more funny ... or maybe not:

\

- worldwidewebsources -

bshmr

Dec-12

Have you ordered any?

OTT, how are 'banned books' list this year?

gunter

Dec-12

Didn't order extra fingers but did get a couple of these stocking stuffers?

greenie225

Dec-14

Oh, that is too funny!  We have to find something to laugh at, right?

Woof!

gunter

Dec-14

There are some XXX versions I won't reproduce here but look for toothpaste caps if interested.

In reply toRe: msg 337
gunter

Dec-16

Catfishing

Basa fish is a member of the catfish family, native to Vietnam's Mekong River Delta, farm-raised in fresh water in Vietnam and exported all over the world. The flavor is milder and more delicate than American catfish. They're also cheaper and they're cutting into market share of home-grown catfish which gets American catfish raisers' spines up; don't call them catfish call them basa. The Essex Street Market is out of catfish but the fishmonger nudges me towards basa. "It's a lot like catfish" he whispers, looking around nervously.

I do my usual 5 minutes on each side in a hot pan with garlicky olive oil and two whole cloves, one for each of us, using some strange adobe with cilantro seasoning which has been hanging out in my kitchen cabinet for a year waiting for something to happen. It's a hit, Roomie likes it more than the usual cajun catfish.

Goya's Arroz con Frijolas Negros. Well, what can you say ...  earthy?

Kimchi from the Korean greengrocer.

Mesclun with olives. Fresh.

Los Vascos Reserve 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon, amazingly apt. Much fruit, bit of tannin, nice fleshy finish, I like that.

Viña Los Vascos in Chile
Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) chose Los Vascos, Chile, because of its location near the ocean and its exceptional soil. Along with ideal weather conditions, Los Vascos benefits from intense exposure to the sun, adequate water sources, semi-arid soils and little risk of frost. At an average of 130m above sea level and at just 40 kilometers from the Pacific Ocean, the microclimate of Viña Los Vascos has everything to produce fine wines.

In reply toRe: msg 338
gunter

Dec-17

More Catfishing

Having been thwarted in my last attempt I am determined to get catfish this time, real catfish. I should be able to do this even after last night's heavy snow. Most sidewalks have been cleared with the notable exception being those in front of city-owned building, but as usual the intersections are no one's territory and, you're on your own there. If someone hasn't cleared a trough through the snowbanks, sheer traffic will, the problem being that the drains are not where the openings are and in no time melting slush gathers kneedeep in the pass. When the light changes people by the dozen slither, hop, jump, climb the banks, anyway possible to get to the other side of street where the maneuver has to be repeated

Fortunately, it's only a few blocks to the Japanese fresh fish store on First Avenue, I wander in and see the place is packing up. Sorry, we're closing. For good? Yes, sorry. The only regular fresh fishstore in the immediate neighborhood is gone, just like that.

Ok, it's a nice day, the sun is shining; I can make it to University Place and the organic foodstore where they always have catfish already marinated in Cajun spices, it's only 7 intersections West. I slither, jump and climb, and somehow end up passing the store, backtrack. It was right here I say staring at a large plywood shed covering the front of the building. No way in, just a City building permit posted in the way of any information.

A bit later, in front of Whole Foods on Union Square I stomp my boots to clear the slush from the last corner, head down into the basement to an endless counter heaped with every fish and shellfish imaginable, each one looking better than the other, and there amongst the wild salmon and king crab claws is a pile of fresh catfish fillets, I'm ready to cry. They're a bit small but I'm not complaining.

I fly back over countless intersections clutching my catch. 

Safe at home now, thinking about tonight's dinner.