Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should all children born in the U.S. automatically become U.S. citizens?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Oct-30 by Cstar1; 428 views.
Cstar1

Poll Question From Cstar1

Oct-30

Should all children born in the U.S. automatically become U.S. citizens?
  • Yes14  votes
    42%
  • No19  votes
    57%
In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

In reply toRe: msg 2
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

Trump's quote, btw, that we're the only country in the world that allows this, is incorrect. Most countries in South and Central America allow it, as does Canada, 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

Trump believes, and is on camera here, saying he can end birthright citizenship with an executive order. He's wrong - the 14th Amendment grants it. “All persons born or naturalized in the US, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the US & of the state wherein they reside.”

• Edited October 30, 2018 8:25 am  by  Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 4
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

This entire thread can be found here

• Edited October 30, 2018 8:39 am  by  Cstar1
In reply toRe: msg 5
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

In reply toRe: msg 6
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

"Opponents of illegal immigration cannot claim to champion the rule of law and then, in the same breath, propose policies that violate our Constitution.

In the aftermath of the Civil War, members of the 39th Congress proposed amending the Constitution to reverse the Supreme Court's notorious 1857 Dred Scott v. Sandford ruling denying citizenship to slaves. The result is the first sentence of the 14th Amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

The plain meaning of this language is clear. A foreign national living in the United States is "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" because he is legally required to obey U.S. law. (By contrast, a foreign diplomat who travels here on behalf of a foreign sovereign enjoys diplomatic immunity from—and thus is not subject to the jurisdiction of—U.S. law.)"

In reply toRe: msg 7
Cstar1
Host

Oct-30

In reply toRe: msg 2
BWArtist

Oct-30

I am an anchor baby. I am anchored here in the strongest ways possible, through my ancestors’ lives and the love with which they kindled me. I am anchored through my Indian ancestors, whose lives here defy the markings of time; by my African ancestors, who paid for their passage with their freedom and their very selves; and by my Spanish ancestors, whose tones resonate in my voice, echoes over centuries. They all anchor me. I cannot be moved. More so: I will not be moved.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-carla-sanchez/i-am-an-anchor-baby_b_8046538.html

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Nov-4

All children born of parents in the USA legally, citizen or not should be citizens by birthright, except for the constituitionally unclassified members of visiting military or diplomats.

A person here illegally or without permission or license is outside jurisdiction so his/her children are born stateless.