Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever kept birds as pets?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 1/5/19 by Cstar1; 1162 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Cortland (KA5S)

Dec-30

No -- but I talk to them vocally and by imitating their movement with a folded hand and bent arm. Sometimes they answer.

EdGlaze

Dec-30

OTHER

Girlfriend had a cockatoo and it was fun when it wasn't chewing up the house.

• Edited December 30, 2020 9:27 pm  by  EdGlaze
Showtalk
Host

Dec-31

I’ve notice very few people have birds, but when they do, they really love them. Unlike dogs or cats, where someone might have a pet just because they want one. I have a friend with parrots that are a lot of trouble.  She adores them.

kizmet1

Dec-31

My gm always had 2 canaries in separate cages in the dining room by the windows. They were named after famous male singers of her day, ie Nelson Eddy and Mario Lanza. In the summer she had someone hang their cages on the porch on hot days. Other times she would lock the doors and let them fly around the house. They always managed to return to their respective cages. Once, one died so I got her one that was a pale orange. I was told it's food changed it's feathers. She named it Dean Martin. My dog would sit for a long time just watching the cages but never trying to jump up and knock them down. (The original poodles were used as birdhunters. It must have been an instict mine had?) The only bad thing about canaries is having to change the paper.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-31

They used to be much more popular than they are now.

kizmet1

Dec-31

Yes, I guess cleaning the cage stopped being a labor of love?
Showtalk
Host

Dec-31

All animal cages are a nuisance to clean.  This poll generated a lot of yes responses.

kizmet1

Dec-31

I think I would only keep a bird in a cage. They make less waste.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-31

I agree.

Risa (Risa25)

Mar-4

Have had parakeets; the first when I was young enough to believe Father Christmas brought him (he lived for 5 years) and the last one for 8 years. She imitated the cat's meow so perfectly I'd have to look to see which one it was. She was great fun, loved music and her bath, tugged at the cat whiskers, and removed bells from her mirrors until I gave up replacing them. Might get another bird some day.