Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you ever cross party lines when voting?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 2/13/20 by Showtalk; 3944 views.
Showtalk
Host

2/14/20

I don’t know. I don’t go to meetings.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

2/15/20

That last, "I don't go to the meetings" is pretty much a bad thing, if you vote a fool in and let them go on their own, YOU are largely responsible for not heading her/him/it off from bad choices.

Voting is only PART of participating in your government, making your day to day voice heard is just as important as voting.

Showtalk
Host

2/15/20

I went when I had children in public school.  Only one of my children actually graduated from that district, which is a very long story and which I won’t get into here.  At this point, parents with children in school have the most important voices,  because it affects them personally.  They want to know where your children are enrolled, and if they are not going to public school, they don’t listen.  I had a personal disagreement with the district anyway, and was not particularly welcome there after a while.  I began working privately with learning disabilities that the school refused to or could not correct. When I got to a 100% success rate teaching children with poor comprehension skills, they got angry and refused to have anything to do with me.  I even offered to come in and volunteer to work with students who couldn’t afford a private educator and they refused that. I offered to discount my fees so I was working barely above my own costs and they refused to tell parents.  So, my dealings with the district are not that good anymore. Their attitude is that if a child can’t learn in their schools, they can’t learn at all and should get tech training rather than expect to be able to read at adult level.  They don’t even encourage them to take the SAT or ACT.

ANNMTM

2/15/20

That's criminal! Kudos and thank you for trying to help the kids who couldn't afford your private services.

Showtalk
Host

2/16/20

Our schools are very good for gifted students and for those with things like autism or developmental delays.  Those in the middle with LDs or ADD, who might be gifted but struggle end up failing.

ANNMTM

2/16/20

lol My older daughter was in the gifted program (qualified with verbal test). In 8th grade, she was in a gifted class. Our district' policy in classrooms is (at least was, ) to put both gifted and challenged kids in the same class. This teacher taught to the challenged kids, thinking it unfair to them otherwise. Spelling exercises were coloring a picture, then writing the words around the outside of it, scrambling the letters of the word (!!!) and I forget what else I sat in the class and listened to her dumb everything down. I went in and requested a change, citing the reasons. She was switched. Didn't even have to do spelling in the new class, just vocabulary.

The teacher had a point. How do you teach both groups? Is it possible, or is it always unfair to one or the other?

Showtalk
Host

2/17/20

In my experience, they either taught to the top, and left the others behind, or they taught to the bottom and the brilliant students taught themselves.  The private school model is much more effective.  They teach the classes with challenges for everyone, but if someone is floundering, they pull them out of class, tutor privately and place them back into class the next day.  That is remarkably effective with math and science, and gives them a chance to get their other work done in the more literary subjects.  Public schools are more of a warehousing effect.  The best students rise to the top.  Schools that have a lot of overachievers do well in public testing and send students to top colleges.  I always thought it was the level of the parental involvement and expectations that make or break a school, not the quality of the teaching. Which is really sad when you think about it like that.  And very non PC.

• Edited February 17, 2020 10:35 am  by  Showtalk
ANNMTM

2/17/20

True. I have a neighbor who is a teacher in a neighboring city. She lives here, her kids go to school here, but she says vehemently that she wouldn't teach here and deal with the parents in this city for anything!

Sigh, pretty sure you have accurately described schools in CA. When I was in school (will be 67 in May), we were "tracked", by their definition of ability and the state test results. At some point, that was either declared illegal, or changed when they realized it stigmatized the less stellar students. What you describe as happening in private schools sounds great. The developmental program my kids were in was good at it, too.

Showtalk
Host

2/17/20

Another discussion off topic.  Yes I agree with everything you said. It’s really too bad that good ideas get dropped because we can’t have anyone feel discriminated against.  I get that, but this shouldn’t about being socially correct. It should be about the best way to get students what they need.  Top students can thrive almost anywhere.  Give them the material and books, point them in the right direction and they will learn on their own.  All they need is guidance and some good classroom lectures.  Students who aren’t as good at learning, need a slower pace and more hands on teaching.  But why dumb it down for the rest?

I also have a problem with teaching in the child’s native language.  They will all benefit by ESL techniques and learn to get up to speed in English as quickly as possible.  Then they have access to all teachers and classes, not just limited to teachers who speak their native languages, especially when and if they get to college. Ultimately, they do better in school and in life when they speak English, too. If they become fully bilingual, they end up ahead of native English speakers.  But again we can’t make anyone feel bad, so we teach to what is expedient rather than the best solution.  I worked for a while in a native Spanish speaking elementary school. They had something like 850 students, many of whom were from transient families.  Most spoke Spanish and more than half only Spanish.  That meant they were either trying to learn in a language they could not understand or with a somewhat bilingual teacher who often barely spoke Spanish.  They could not hire enough teachers who were fully capable in both English and Spanish.  I saw huge differences in learning, even though many of the students were capable of learning at grade level.  Attendance was also a huge problem.  Many parents just did not see the importance of showing up to school daily and in time. 100% of the students got both free breakfast and lunch. Sometimes free food was the only thing that got students to school for the day.

• Edited February 17, 2020 4:28 pm  by  Showtalk
ANNMTM

2/17/20

That's something I haven't encountered.

My husband spoke only Portuguese when he went to kindergarten. He wound up perfectly fluent in English, but couldn't speak Portuguese very well. He understood it fine.I think he went to Catholic school. I doubt the teachers spoke Portuguese.