Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

6/15/20

I don't live there, so I don't know the situation.

I just make a post to showtalk telling her that I live in the most diverse county in the southeast (or so the president of the county Chamber of Commerce brags), that our school system claims to have 100 different languages spoken with students from 181 different countries.  I'm used to diversity.  Yes, there is racial prejudice here, but for the most part, citizens embrace the diversity.  The diversity of our customers was one of the great things about working in the library -- and we treated them all the same, which made working with that group of people a pleasure. 

kizmet1 said:

I cannot help but wonder if there were any history or art majors involved in the destruction who had knowledge and appreciation of the past and did nothing?

There most likely were one or two, but probably they didn't dare speak up against it lest they be rent limb from limb by the mob.

Just like surely everyone involved in ISIS probably didn't support such destruction, but mob mentality backed up with plenty of deadly force to those who wouldn't toe the Party line, would be quite the strong incentive to not just pay lip service to such destruction, but try to be the loudest advocate for it.

Just like with the death of Kim Jong Il, North Koreans shrieked and cried loudly at the funeral procession and all through the country, because they knew that there were spies everywhere, and the camps or a firing squad awaited anyone who seemed to be less than totally grief stricken.

MerlinsDad

6/15/20

I found an amplification of your information on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

I found this caveat

Like all focused energy, the beam will irradiate all matter in the targeted area, including everything beyond/behind it that is not shielded, with no possible discrimination between individuals, objects or materials. Anyone incapable of leaving the target area (e.g., physically handicapped, infants, incapacitated, trapped, etc.) would continue to receive radiation until the operator turned off the beam.

Defense against it seems fairly straight forward, at least in a combat zone where an army knows that it will be exposed to it.

Reflective materials such as aluminum cooking foil should reflect this radiation and could be used to make clothing that would be protective against this radiation

I think you're right.  We will probably see it as a crowd control weapon when they figure out how to make it hand held or at least easily moved from place to place.

Following approximately ten thousand test exposures of volunteers to ADS beams, a Penn State Human Effects Advisory Panel (HEAP) concluded that ADS is a non-lethal weapon that has a high probability of effectiveness with a low probability of injury:

Thanks for the information

Showtalk
Host

6/15/20

What about Mt Rushmore? Or the statue of Lincoln? Or even the .Statue of Liberty?  This needs its own poll.

Showtalk
Host

6/15/20

But will they follow through on investigating drivers?  Can they even be charged with anything?

Showtalk
Host

6/15/20

I’m not sure it’s greed.  Production costs are enormous. Actors, director sand producers make a lot of money off programming.   So do networks, but they have expenses going in.  Can we put blame on the actors?

Showtalk
Host

6/15/20

That is wonderful that you treated everyone the same.  That is how it should be.  At the same time, you also need to direct them toward useful resources, and people have different abilities and needs.

kizmet1

6/15/20

I don't know about the future. Cops may sit in the info for something bigger to happen. Going to court for a small offence might be too expensive
Showtalk
Host

6/15/20

I agree. A lot will be ignored or will slide.