Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

I can't find a comparable local poll.

Would that poll indicate that people don't think the schools will be safe as long as the virus is surging?

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

When you say that they are listening to the medical experts, does that mean that more are masking up and that the number of new cases is trending down?  At least DDD has decided that wearing masks is wise.  Kemp is promoting but not mandating them.  I told you about Mayor Bottoms, who, but the way, tested positive, as well as her husband and one child.

We went to the grocery today.  Employees are required to wear masks.  I would guess that 80 or 85% of the customers were wearing them.  I was encouraged by what I saw.  It was between 9 and 10 a.m., not many shoppers at that hour.

You all definitely have some barriers to reopening, and those barriers might be reflected in the poll you cited.  Does the Secretary of Education have a plan?  Are those barriers statewide or local?

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-8

I think that is the message from the poll.  Our superintendent of education and the president of the teachers assn are both against opening schools next month.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

I read the article.  I agree with your speculation, but we may never know because of their policy, but it's suggestive.

That chart would definitely be interesting.  I hope they will post it.  I'd like to see it.

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

So there's unity between the teacher's union and the superintendent?  That's a very good thing.  Keep us posted.  I'd like to know how that works.  At the moment, it appears that everything is go in Georgia statewide, but I would guess that it's subject to change.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-8

More masks and more new cases.  Memorial Day and the reopening are just hitting so hopefully numbers will drop.  Almost Everyone here is wearing a mask now.  Stores are requiring them, businesses, city and counties.  Prescott is the largest city with no mask requirement and they just had a major rodeo.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-8

New Superintendent is an ex teacher, first we've had for a while.  Prior were mostly political goaled, last one was different, this one is education goaled.

Good luck in Georgia.  I don't understand why people just don't realize their political actions can kill. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-8

I think people are scared.  Which is not a bad thing given the contagiousness of the virus.  Being scared might help us be more cautious.   Wearing masks could help bring your numbers down.  Let's hope so.  You all have had a rough go of it.

Thanks.  I hope we do well, but I am concerned and am very glad I am no longer at the library.."

"I don't understand why people just don't realize their political actions can kill."

Kemp, as other governors must, is trying to find the elusive balance point between jobs and people, balancing between having no income and having the virus.  

I just took another look at our chart for new cases.  Kemp opened bars and restaurants on June 1.  An upward trend started sometime between May 29 and June 2, then got steep around June 18 or 19, which is predicted by the June 1 opening day for bars and restaurants,  We've been over 3400 for the past two days.  Kemp has been slow to react to those changes.  Some of the mayors have mandated masks, but Kemp has not. I would say that he needs to close the bars and restaurants to bring the numbers down.

In reply toRe: msg 244
MerlinsDad

Jul-8

I just revised the previous post while you were reading it.  I made some significant changes after I studied our new case chart.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-8

Being scared is the smartest emotion we can feel right now.  Your retirement was excellent timing!

Our new superintendent of schools was on MSNBC tonight and said there's no way we can open this year unless the administration is kind enough to send us 500 teachers when they send the 500 nurses Pence promised (which he's apparently leaving the acquisition of said nurses to hospitals).  Maybe they could get a two for one airfare.

Hopefully AZ and GA will race to the lowest numbers instead of the highest numbers?