Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will you be Buying and Reading John Bolton's Finally Released Book?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 6/17/20 by BWArtist; 5802 views.
MerlinsDad said:

There's enough poverty and low incomes in the county to create a great demand for the library's computers.

Exactly.

Showtalk
Host

6/19/20

True, but I was surprised when I saw an article a few years ago in how many people have phones. I 

MerlinsDad

6/19/20

I wish to update my comments about Howard.  There is an article on the front page of today's newspaper stating that he was under investigation by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation,

"Its focus is Howard's use of a nonprofit to funnel city of Atlanta grant money to his personal bank account.  In both 2014 and 2015, the cite wrote $125,000 dollar checks to People Partnering for Progress, a nonprofit dedicated to stemming youth violence and which is headed by Howard as its CEO.  Over a five-year period , the nonprofit write a series of checks totaling $195,000 to Howard, [who is alleged to have] pocketed the money.  Atlanta Journal Constitution, June 19, 2020, page A8.

I had read about the allegations, but failed to make the connection when I first responded to your post.  --MD

MerlinsDad

6/19/20

Howard is being investigated by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for allegedly pocketing $195,000 of city grant money.  There was an editorial in today's paper essentially calling the hasty charges filed against Rolfe a political move.  GBI is now investigating the incident with Brooks.  The editorial contends that the GBI should have been called in before charges were filed.  This could get real messy.

Showtalk
Host

6/19/20

I see. Thank you. 

Showtalk
Host

6/19/20

Is the paper a legal entity? Why is it their business to decide whether charges were filed correctly or not?

MerlinsDad

6/19/20

I agree that Bush has grown.  He's had a lot of time to think about what he did and did not do.  Yes, GHW Bush's conversions with Obama would have been very interesting -- two very smart men both concerned about the welfare of the country from different positions. Bush the second was not the equal of his dad. and had the misfortune to be advised by Cheney and Rove, two men who I intensely detest and who left an indelible mark of Bush's administration and probably his character.  Yes, I genuinely believe that he cared deeply for the country and its citizens, although, like Trump, he opened his mouth when he should not have, only much, much less frequently.  I've not seen a chart on the number of lies and untruths he told.  But Trump has elevated lying to an art form; he must be nearing the 20,000 mark by now.  

The untruths told by the President have increased in seriousness and volume, the Post found: an average of six per day in 2017 turned to nearly sixteen per day in 2018, which then increased to more than twenty-two per day in 2019—and that was before this crazy 2020 of the impeachment trial, the pandemic, the economic crisis, and Trump’s reëlection campaign. The President’s use of Twitter has metastasized along with the false statements that he publishes on his feed; he is now sending out, every day, an average of nearly four times as many misleading tweets as he did during his first year in office.  https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/the-most-mendacious-president-in-us-history

This was published four weeks ago, four days after George Floyd was killed.

Here's the concluding remarks

The conclusion from all of this is as depressing as it is damning. These are not standard-issue political lies being foisted on the public but nuclear-weapons-grade falsehoods that speak directly to the President’s character. They are of a scale and volume that simply defy precedent, even in a country that had Richard Nixon as its leader [bolding mine --MD]. Trump, the Fact Checker’s editor Glenn Kessler writes, is quite simply “the most mendacious President in U.S. history.” There are, sadly, eighteen thousand reasons and counting why he is right.

MerlinsDad

6/19/20

I remember reading that.  I had forgotten about it.  My library has 1 copy of the books of some very popular authors.  Thanks for reminding me.

MerlinsDad

6/19/20

showtalk says:  "Is the paper a legal entity? Why is it their business to decide whether charges were filed correctly or not?"

My comment was  "There was an editorial [bolding mine --MD] in today's paper essentially calling the hasty charges filed against Rolfe a political move." 

Newspapers have been writing editorials since before the American Revolution.  There was a time when the opinion of the editor carried influence among the newspaper's readers.  Now, sadly, not so much, because of the internet and cable tv where the wildest opinions are editorialized as if they had substance..

I've been reading newspaper editorials since I was in high school.  I enjoy them and sometimes find their insights helpful in making up my mind.  I also concede that many syndicated columnists that I used to read in the newspaper are now available on line (some, however, only if you have a subscription).  I found this particular editorial brought up some points I had not considered before -- that's what a good editorial should do.

There are "lifeline" mobile phones that people on disability such as SSI get, but the functionality is very limited even if the hardware is capable of internet connectivity.

A friend of mine who has been disabled has one of these "lifeline" type phones. She can receive pictures if it is connected to a wifi but all that the network restrictions via the cellular system will allow are texts and phone calls, and apparently that is heavily rationed with a rather low airtime and data cap.

She says it's designed to shame those using it and remove a little more dignity to where one can communicate in emergencies, but not really participate in the online world like ordinary people can, in a way that could improve one's overall living conditions. It's like it's designed to kick you while you're down so you can't really get up again once you're stuck in that system.

ed to add - the program was actually started by Ronald Reagan because so many of the poor and most vulnerable were dying simply because they had no means to summon aid, family members or others had no way to easily check on them, and lack of any kind of modern communication placed an undue burden not only on the poor but also upon the various agencies where numerous artificial barriers such as being able to call to set appointments or to be called if something needed to be re-scheduled, and instead the sickest and weakest were having to needlessly stand in long lines to communicate even basic and simple things due to lack of a working phone.