Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Showtalk
Host

7/6/20

Except I don’t see alternative opinions give the same weight as things you post. I could be wrong but it seems that way.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

There are facts and there are opinions.  They are not the same.  Facts can be checked by anyone; that's why it's important to provide a link to the source.  One uses facts to build a discussion.  From a sound basis in facts, one can venture into opinion.  Opinions exist to be debated, discussed, and modified by facts, but opinions are not solid; they are flimsy things.  Facts tend to be more solid, less elusive, less subject to change, although they can be changed by new data.  

jeri is absolutely correct:  Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, with the understanding that the opinion may not survive the facts.  No one is entitled to his own facts,  They have to be accessible to all.  

Showtalk
Host

7/6/20

And yet I have posted facts you do not like and you will not accept them. If you don’t agree, you say they are not facts or they are incorrect.  

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

Opinions do not carry the same weight as facts.  Facts are substantial and available to all of us.  Opinions are flimsy, open to debate and discussion and changed by the weight of facts. 

We each can have an opinion about Trump's recent statement that 99% of coronavirus cases are "harmless."  But we can't change the fact that he said it. 

We can debate our opinions until Saturday, but we can't change the fact that he said it.  

Facts carry a lot more weight than opinions.  What's fun in this forum is that we can debate the opinions, but not the facts.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

If you cite a fact, give me a link.  Most, if not all, of what I have disputed are opinions.  It seems to me that you rely mostly on opinions.  All of those articles today claiming that the increases in coronavirus were due to the protests are opinions.  Yes, many police officers in LA have contacted coronavirus and yes they were face to face with protestors, but there is no causal link between the protests and the increases, merely an opinion, a supposition,  Further investigation may or may not show a causal link, but today, it's merely opinion and open to debate and refutation,

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

If you have posted a indisputable fact, I cannot dispute it.  You mostly rely on other people's opinions, like that discussion you started on suburbs with an opinion piece by Stanley Kurtz.  I disputed it because it was opinion; he may have drawn on a fact, but what he wrote was his opinion, and I don't agree with it.  It was not a factual piece; it was an opinion piece.  We can have different opinions about what the facts import, but we can't change the facts,   That's why I am so careful to provide quotation marks and links when I cite someone else.  And sometimes, the information I provide are facts.  And both of us can hold opinions about the import of those facts, but we can't change the facts.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

And very often they are not facts, they are opinions.  I always provide my reasoning for claiming that they are incorrect. 

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

That statement has been around for a long time and has been used in many different situations when the facts quoted were inaccurate, made up, or were what Kellyanne Conway referred to as "alternate facts," January 22, 2017

Daniel Patrick Moynihan,, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

• Variant: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.
    • Quoted in Robert Sobel's review of Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies edited by Mark C. Carnes.
  • Variant: You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
    • Quoted in Timothy J. Penny, [1], National Review September 4, 2003.
  • Variant: You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts.
  • However, proceedings of a Senate Intelligence Committee in 1980 attribute the identical quote to James R. Schlesinger (at p. 110), possibly made during the course of 1973 Congressional testimony.
  • Also see Bernard Baruch, who said "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." in the January 6, 1950 issue of the Deming (New Mexico) Headlight
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_Moynihan

Showtalk
Host

7/6/20

You are missing the point.  It doesn’t need to be fought to the death. We are taking about opinions.  Mine are based in what I have read.  You have no idea that the police cases were not caused by the virus. I would think the people speaking know more than you do about it.  Instead, you insist on taking someone else’s opinion because they throw numbers at it, but mostly because it supports your beliefs, which are... opinions.  And worse, you don’t even try to understand what I’m saying.  If every post turns into an argument over who can throw up the most facts, we have no discussion.  Why are you so positive you are always right? No one is right 100% of the time.