Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jeri (azpaints)

7/4/20

kizmet1 said...

I disagree with your post. 911 was a national war that didn't go away. The nation didn't have insurance to recover from it nor did anyone have the training. Obama didn't have the training either. In fact, all he had was a nice smile. I am still waiting to stop paying income tax on my "less than $45,000" income he didn't feel anyone should pay taxes on.

Yes, you did say it was a national war and then went on to try to connect Obama to 9-11.  You try to change the subject quite a bit when discussing politics.  Since you said you are "still waiting" to stop having tp pay tax, I guess Trump didn't help you there, either.

Jeri (azpaints)

7/4/20

Pearl Harbor Day was an attack on American soil.

kizmet1

7/4/20

HI was not a state when attacked. Buildings were not high rise. As far as I know, they were not attacked. Ships were attacked.
IMHO, Obama didn't have any money management skills or experience.
Jeri (azpaints)

7/4/20

Wow.  You are the first person I have ever met that thinks the attack on Hawaii was not an attack on the United States of America.  As for your assertion that buildings were not damaged, read some history.  I'm still in shock.  Not an attack, wow.

UPDATED:
AUG 30, 2018
ORIGINAL:
OCT 23, 2012

5 Attacks on U.S. Soil During World War II

The Germans and Japanese waged small-scale campaigns of bombing, sabotage and espionage on American soil during World War II.
Along with the Mencers, the Kelley family found themselves amidst the destruction that rained upon Oahu that day. Their three children, including four-year-old Pat and her brother Richard, had just been dropped off at Sunday School in Manoa Valley when the attacks began. Immediately after leaving them, their father returned to pick them up. As the family passed King and McCully streets, one building erupted into flames, and further down the road another building—a Japanese school—fell victim to the bombing. As Pat recalls, the family’s car stalled momentarily, and just after it started moving again, the ground they were on cratered beneath a Japanese bomb.

kizmet1

7/4/20

Sorry, I should have been more specific to avoid being attacked.
HI did not have high rise buildings like NYC did. The Royal Hawaiian was one if the biggest.
HI was not a state at the time of attack.
Jeri (azpaints)

7/4/20

I'm still in shock.  What difference does the height of the buildings make.  A bomb in a school or a plane in a building.  Lives were lost, families were destroyed. Hearts were broken.  Being an American state has nothing to do with this,  Hawaii was an AMERICAN territory and the attack killed US servicemen, US citizens and residents of an American Territory.  2,467 Killed.  As a result on that attack on American soil, the US entered WWII and 670846 Americans were killed.  

MerlinsDad

7/4/20

kizmet says:  "911 happened at the beginning of the Bush administration. It put more than a monkey wrench into the hopes and wishes for the whole nation and probably many of our allies."

In what way?

kizmet says:  "At least the rest of the 1st term had its plans destroyed."

In what way?

kizmet says:  " I cannot imagine anyone had been schooled in how to recover from a major attack on a big city. . . "

I suspect there were briefings on attacks on big cities during the transition; notebooks that were available to the Bush team.  Obama's transition team, after all, had included a section on how to deal with a pandemic.  I can't imagine that the military didn't have several plans on dealing with attacks on major cities; perhaps not the exact targets, but close enough to help the Bush team respond effectively.

kizmet says:  ". . . yet many critics jumped all over Bush during his 2nd term just like they are trying to do with Trump now. "

And with good reason.

kizmet says:  "Bush did the best he or anyone else could have done under the circumstances." 

I'm not convinced that others couldn't have done better. Doing one's best is not always good enough, as most of us have discovered at one point or another in our lives.  Bush at least listened to and consulted with the experts and professionals in his administration, and he seemed to listen to them.  I will give him credit for listening.

kizmet says:  "911 opened up a can of worms everywhere. Any good that came from his plans for housing recovery were polished off and claimed by Obama and Associates."

Bush served for 2688 days after September 11, 2001.  Plenty of time to do good.

kizmet says:  "Obama was a "community organizer". What did he ever do to learn about real estate, finances, construction, etc. He coasted. We went through a bad housing market under Carter, too."

President Obama had been a Senator from January 3, 2005, to November 16, 2008.   As President of the United States, Obama, like Bush before him and Trump after, had access to experts on just about any subject imaginable, even "real estate, finances, construction, etc."  The role of the president is to make best use of those experts and set policy accordingly.  I don't really understand what point you are trying to make.

If you're talking about HUD's Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing role , it was intended to bolster enforcement of the Fair Housing Act of 1968.   https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/affh/

kizmet1

7/4/20

Thank you for the history lesson.
kizmet1

7/4/20

Obama had a nice smile.
MerlinsDad

7/5/20

I'm glad you think so, but he had a lot more than just his smile going for him.