Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

poppyshea says:  "I’m waiting for statistics we haven’t seen yet - of those who have/had COVID-19, how many wore masks and how many did not. If those who have or had the virus wore masks, is it worth it? "

I wonder if anyone is actually tabulating that information.  It would be informative in the matter you suggest.

poppyshea says:  "The other thing is that the only partially effective mask is aThe other thing is that the only partially effective mask is a professionally fitted N95 of the correct size to fit your face. To me, other masks are like wet paper towels picking up crumbs. With every breath you expire you breathe out moisture which attracts germs - right there at your nose." To me, other masks are like wet paper towels picking up crumbs. With every breath you expire you breathe out moisture which attracts germs - right there at your nose."

Do you advocate wearing a mask other than ". . . a professionally fitted N95 of the correct size to fit your face"?

Given your statement about ". . . a professionally fitted N95 of the correct size to fit your face,"  would tabulating mask wearers and non wearers who contact Covid 19 be useful unless they also tabulated the type of mask?

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

Not the first to do so, and certainly won't be the last.

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

My daughter gave me a copy of Pete Souza's book Obama:  An Intimate Portrait.  An incredible photographic study of an utterly remarkable human being.

I have referred to Carter as the "conscience of America" because of all the trips he made as a good will ambassador and overseeing elections in other countries.  Just sitting in that church and listening to him ranks as a thrill only slightly below that of attending Kennedy's inauguration.

Think what fun it would be to lunch with Biden and Obama, hearing them share stories of their time together.  I would love to listen to Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice talk about world affairs when they were SOS and how they have changed.  Both were amazing.

Yes, I would definitely enjoy Beschloss, but there are several historians I would enjoy talking to.  I love David McCullough's books; he is a fantastic story teller.  I'd love to just get him started talking about his favorite historical events. 

I cited Jon Meacham's The Soul of America in another thread.  I would love to hear him talk at length about that subject.  I'd even pick up the tab,

Jeri (azpaints)

7/5/20

I've seen some of Souzas photos he was/is a remarkable photographer.  

I'd be fascinated to listen to Colin Powell.  And John Roberts!!  I really like listening to Nicole Wallace talk about her time wit GWB.  

My goodness.  We better stop.  We're actually saying nice things about members and leaders of  BOTH parties.  Just you and I though.  Guess we're actually non partisan in our willingness to admit and admire value in the opposition.  

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

I guess we are.  An intelligent  person with sharp insights is just that:  intelligent and perspicacious.  Just because they don't share my political views doesn't mean that I can't admire them for these qualifies and learn from listening to their perspective of things.  One we haven't mentioned is Bush I.  I think he would also have been an interesting person to listen to.   We've had some very smart people serve this country in the past. 

Jeri (azpaints)

7/5/20

I liked GHW Bush and would have loved to have an afternoon with Barbara.  

Political affiliation is really a small part of my assessment of a person and then only in the realms of politics.  Can you imagine sky diving at 90 (??).  What an interesting life I bet he lived!  I'd love to ask Bush 2 what Bush 1 was like as a dad!

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

jeri says:  "I'd love to ask Bush 2 what Bush 1 was like as a dad!"

That would be very interesting.  I don't intend to skydive at 90, but I admire him for doing it.

I rarely, if ever, inquire about a person's political affiliation.  For the most part I'm not interested.  I think I knew the political affiliation of two of my co-workers -- one because she blurted it out one day; the other because I saw him reading the NYT and asked him what editorial he was reading.  He had a degree in economics and could explain a lot of the financial issues to me.  We both admired Paul Krugman.  As you can see, an inquiry about what he was reading led to a conversation about economics which led to a discussion about politics.  I miss talking to him.  I do enjoy talking politics with people who keep up and have an historical perspective, like he did.  This forum allows me to keep my writing brain sharp and engage in necessary and interesting research.

Henry Kissinger would have been another I would loved to talk to.  He probably knew more about world affairs than anyone since Cordell Hull. 

Jeri (azpaints)

7/6/20

I always had a difficult time with Kissinger's accent.  With my hearing now I doubt I'd catch every other word.

I had an aunt who used to introduce me (in my early 20's) as "This is my niece, be careful she's a Democrat".  She stopped when at a party one night two people said "oh,  good, someone sane" or the equivalent.  I had an enlightening experience at one office where the receptionist was put on probation for having a framed copy of the Lords Prayer on her desk.  Learned to keep both religion and politics out of the office unless directly approached.  Until my last job, which was a free for all...on both topics!  "Mission Accomplished" and the OJ trial found all 11 of us in the conference room in a very lively debate.  Only prohibition was clean language!

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

I agree about his accent, but I was presupposing that I could understand him, which, in reality, I probably can't.  I would love hear a younger Kessinger (he's now 97) talk about the state of the world as he knew it when he was National Security Advisor and SOS and the state of the world currently.  I always felt he had a expansive knowledge of world affairs and its major players.

jeri says:  "She stopped when at a party one night two people said "oh,  good, someone sane" or the equivalent."

funny story,  I'll bet she was totally shocked by their reaction.

I have been in the political minority in Georgia since I reached voting age, with the exception of voting for Carter.  We had to work together too closely at the library to develop animosities over religion or politics, so we kept silent, which kept the team surprisingly tightly knit.  I loved working in that environment. 

jeri says:  "I had an enlightening experience at one office where the receptionist was put on probation for having a framed copy of the Lords Prayer on her desk."

Was that a stay at home suspension or a verbal suspension?  Were you warned about the policy during orientation or did it come as a surprise? 

Showtalk
Host

7/6/20

kizmet1 said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific to avoid being attacked. HI did not have high rise buildings like NYC did. The Royal Hawaiian was one if the biggest. HI was not a state at the time of attack

You are right. You should not have been attacked for having an opinion and I’m sorry I did t see and reply until now.  Hawaii was not a state it was a territory. A U.S. ship was attacked which is how we were drawn in, and no buildings were attacked.  I understand what you are saying.  

To everyone: in the future please remember this isn’t a trial and we are all allowed to have our own opinions.  This is the OPINION forum which means we all have the right to share our opinions.  Trying to prove someone else wrong changes the entire focus of a poll forum.  If anything, we should be spending more time looking at poll results and less fighting with people who disagree with us. No one enjoys fighting.