Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the word “Master” be removed or changed wherever it is used?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started 7/1/20 by Showtalk; 2963 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

Bumping this up because of the use of the term Special Master when talking about the raid on Trump.  The term master isn’t offensive there apparently.

WALTER784
Staff

Sep-23

ROFLMAO...

What about the Golf Master's Tournament too?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-24

There are dozens of examples that can’t be changed. This was a huge issue in 2020 because people and the media were getting tired of Covid. So they needed another big issue. It’s died down considerably since then.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-24

Master cylinder

Dutch Master paintings

Master database

Master theorem

Master slide presentation

MasterLock

Mastercard

Master document

WALTER784
Staff

Sep-24

All over yet another word to politically correctly please the Democrats.

A retarded person is no less retarded whether you call him retarded or mentally challenged! It's one of those feel good group huggy sort of... stomp on our freedom of speech tests... yet again.

Well... if they want me to call them a fellow human... I'll be more than glad to continue calling them weasels!!! (* ROFLMAO *)

WIW

Showtalk
Host

Sep-24

“Retarded” is not used because it is a form of ridicule and extremely negative. I understand that and I agree.  Master is only negative in terms of slavery and past history and should not be used in a setting where it brings back similar relationships as existed during slavery, like a boss with Black employees. But a bedroom? Everyone can buy houses with master bedrooms, whether black, white or anything else. It’s not referring to slavery or elevating it at all.  

Elarepea

Sep-24

Master Craftsman

Master of Ceremonies

Showtalk
Host

Sep-24

Yes. I didn’t think of those.

WALTER784
Staff

Sep-24

Master at Arms too.

And I'm sure there are plenty of others.

FWIW

WALTER784
Staff

Sep-24

Showtalk said...

“Retarded” is not used because it is a form of ridicule and extremely negative.

So retarded was not ridicule or extremely negative until somebody determined it was. Whatever body of people determined that needs to read the 1st Amendment.

FWIW