Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Unknown police absconding with Portland   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jul-18 by Jeri (azpaints); 1740 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-18

UPDATE (11:30 a.m. PT) — Attorneys working with the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon filed a class-action lawsuit Sunday, claiming Portland police are targeting and attacking journalists and legal observers covering protests over the killing of George Floyd and police misconduct
A few hours after the 
decision, the ACLU did sue the two federal agencies seeking to limit what police and other law enforcement officers can do during the now-nightly protests

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-aclu-federal-law-enforcement-portland-police-lawsuit/

MerlinsDad

Jul-18

Looks like they filed the lawsuit Saturday afternoon

https://www.opb.org/news/article/federal-police-portland-doj-lawsuit/

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-18

Devil and the deep blue sea for the judges.

MerlinsDad

Jul-18

It shouldn't be.  She should be able to issue a restraining order against the federal agency because they have no business being there,

State attorneys are asking a judge to issue a temporary restraining order that “would immediately stop federal authorities from unlawfully detaining Oregonians,” the DOJ said in a release.

The DOJ’s lawsuit is asking a judge to find that the federal agencies’ tactics are indeed unlawful and violate Oregonians’ First, Fourth and Fifth amendment constitutional rights.   https://www.opb.org/news/article/federal-police-portland-doj-lawsuit/

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-18

I suspect the devils in the details...how close to federally owned buildings were the "kidnap" victims.  DHS can act to protect federal property but if the victim was a block away?  I hope the judge issues a restraining order that is broad enough to stop DHSfrom trying this in Nevada, or California or anywhere else, rather than specific to Portland or Oregon.

MerlinsDad

Jul-19

I suspect she can only rule for that area, but she may be able to set an important precedent.  Guarding and protecting Federal buildings does not involve direct action against demonstrators.  They, or so I understood from the things I've read, were involved in firing rubber bullets and tear gas (or pepper spray).  These activities don't fit into the description of "guarding" a building unless the protesters were preparing to assault.  I would also be curious to know the charges brought against those they arrested. 

Maybe we'll have access to more information tomorrow.  OBB seems a good local news source.

It's past midnight local.  Time for bed

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-19

It's a federal lawsuit which may open up the judges area of control.  This will be interesting for me, as I love legal conundrums.  Hope we see more soon.

MerlinsDad

Jul-19

Sounds as if things got messier last night

Authorities asked protesters near the Portland Police Association office to leave Saturday night or risk arrest.

"This event has been declared a riot [bolding mine --MD].  Move to the east now. If you do not move to the east you will be subject to arrest or use of force to include crowd control munitions. Leave the area now," the Portland Police Bureau tweeted. It said protesters broke into the Portland Police Association office and set it on fire.

In a separate protest near the federal building downtown, protesters could be seen dismantling a heavy metal fence set up around the building earlier as a barricade.

Just hours earlier, police said the Federal Protective Service will not work in the Portland Police Bureau's incident command center after masked, camouflaged federal officers without identification badges arrested people protesting racial inequality in the city., according to Portland police.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/portland-police-federal-authorities/index.html
Sounds to me as if the judge needs to issue that restraining order to restore order.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-19

Anyway you look at this it is a complete and total cluster of ego, stupidity, inaction, irresponsible behavior, selfishness and ugliness.  ON ALL SIDES.