Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you approve of the way Trump has handled the cornavirus pandemic   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jul-20 by MerlinsDad; 840 views.
MerlinsDad

Poll Question From MerlinsDad

Jul-20

Do you approve of the way Trump has handled the cornavirus pandemic
  • Yes8  votes
    47%
  • No9  votes
    52%
  • Maybe0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes 
No 
Maybe 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-20

CNN's Poll of Polls (July 20)

The CNN Poll of Polls is an average of the five most recent non-partisan, live operator, national telephone surveys on the general election matchup between Biden and Trump among registered voters. The poll of polls includes results from the Fox News poll conducted July 12-15, the Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted July 12-15, the NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted July 9-12, the Quinnipiac University poll (undefined) conducted July 9-13 and the Monmouth University poll conducted June 26-30. The poll of polls does not have a margin of sampling error.

Approval of Trump's handling of coronavirus has also gone down -- 37% of voters approved and 59% disapproved [bolding mine -- MD], according to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll last week. In June, 43% voters approved of his handling of the pandemic while 55% disapproved.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics/poll-of-polls-july-trump-biden-coronavirus/index.html

me (DENNIS4927)

Jul-24

we have never done any of these polls. local, state, or national
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-24

I don’t know anyone who admits taking them. We don’t either.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-24

Do you feel that your opinion has been left out?

me (DENNIS4927)

Jul-25

sometimes, especially the state ones
MerlinsDad

Jul-25

I wonder what one has to do to get on their calling lists?

MerlinsDad said:

... live operator, national telephone surveys ...

Oh, those unfamiliar numbers that show up on caller ID that I routinely never, ever answer, and report as scammers / spammers on all the public database sites, then block so the next time they call it goes directly to /dev/null.

Thus my opinion has never been registered on any of those kind of surveys, like millions of others who are so fed up with robocalls all day and night that all unknown numbers are just lumped in as enemy combatants that one wishes they could hack into their systems and remotely reformat their hard drives after erasing all their backups to at least cripple their operation for a few days, in the electronic arms race to preserve one's sanity.

MerlinsDad

Jul-30

We have call blocking on our telephone.  It takes about a year to reach the limit, then we have to start over.

It would be more effective, if a lot less satisfying than hacking into their systems, were you to get a phone system which has call blocking.

Cellular smart phones have call blocking apps, and even some subscribe to public blacklists that are updated hourly so when people start getting spam calls and then tap on the app overlay to report them, millions of others don't even hear the phone ring when they get the same robocalls.

A hardware solution works for landlines. You put a microprocessor system upstream of all your phone jacks, such as just past the station protector. It has a caller ID decoder built in, and a relay, and a very large, multi-gigabyte storage area.

It swallows the first ring, parses the caller ID string, and looks it up in its database. If it is a whitelisted number it puts ringing voltage on the downstream line, and also recreates the caller ID data so it shows up on the phones. It might even modify the ringing cadence to indicate that the call has been pre-screened.

However if the caller ID is on the blacklist, it just swallows the call and doesn't even connect your phones to the telco line at all, but instead simulates the central office with on-hook 48 volts and delivers a dial tone if you pick up the phone rather than accidentally answer a robocaller if you were trying to dial out at that moment.

It could even "flash" the telco line to "answer and immediately hang up" the robocall, or answer and deliver the 3 tone "line has been disconnected" intercept sequence, spoofing what the telco sends when someone dials a number that is not in service. This old phone phreaking trick can fool some robocall systems into marking your number down as disconnected.

The thing is, with phone land lines vanishing, the market for such a device is shrinking by the day.

If I were going to build and sell something like that, I'd probably design a Raspberry Pi "hat" with a faxmodem chipset which happens to have all the useful functionality, plus a 48 volt boost switcher and a 90 volt ringing circuit so act like "phone system on a board" to pass the related stuff along.

Then the Pi would do all the heavy lifting. I'd market it mainly for the experimenters who have elderly parents and grandparents so that their future inheritance isn't scammed away.

If they have some kind of internet connectivity, the code in the Pi could go out to the web and fetch millions and millions of public blacklisted numbers to put in its database.

The end user could put in their own Pi, or I'd offer a Pi Zero W as the engine that does the rest of the smarts and heavy lifting.

I just hope they extend the $600 a week through January so I can eat and develop products to replace the income in case I have to totally go free-lance because some industries won't come back for years.