Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I cheer Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez' speech against misogyny   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-24 by MerlinsDad; 2583 views.
MerlinsDad

Poll Question From MerlinsDad

Jul-24

I cheer Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez' speech against misogyny
  • Yes4  votes
    22%
  • No11  votes
    61%
  • Maybe1  vote
    5%
  • How could anyone not like her?1  vote
    5%
  • Other1  vote
    5%
Yes 
No 
Maybe 
How could anyone not like her? 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-24

Here are excerpts from her speech

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/23/aoc-speech-video-ted-yoho

Here's excerpts from an opinion piece by Kara Alaimo, an associate professor of public relations at Hofstra University, [and] the author of "Pitch, Tweet, or Engage on the Street: How to Practice Global Public Relations and Strategic Communication." She was spokeswoman for international affairs in the Treasury Department during the Obama administration.

By allegedly using the word "bitch" in his stunning breach of decorum, Yoho suggested that what he was really complaining about was that a woman was daring to wield political power at all.

. . . Ocasio-Cortez took to the House floor herself to address her fellow Congresswomen and Congressmen and cannily shifted the conversation away from the personal attack and onto the wider culture of misogyny that women in this country face. She responded to Yoho while calling out everyone from President Donald Trump to men on the subway for upholding a culture of "impunity, of accepting violence and violent language against women, and an entire structure of power that supports that."

She also broke down Yoho's protestations that he is a family man with a wife and two daughters by turning that well-worn defense on its head. "I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho's youngest daughter. I am someone's daughter too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter."
She went on to say, "When you do that to any woman, what Mr. Yoho did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. In using that language, in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable."

Dr. Alaimo's closing is especially powerful.

But by refusing to accept either the insult and Yoho's half-hearted apology, Ocasio-Cortez issued a badly-needed defense not just of herself, but of all women who seek power.

kizmet1

Jul-30

I wonder if her dad liked her lip piercing and the little hole it left?
There are many other Dem female politicians to single out to mention. Look harder.
MerlinsDad

Jul-30

I was complimenting her speech.  It's a powerful speech against misogyny. 

I especially applaud this portion. 

She also broke down Yoho's protestations that he is a family man with a wife and two daughters by turning that well-worn defense on its head. "I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho's youngest daughter. I am someone's daughter too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter."

She went on to say, "When you do that to any woman, what Mr. Yoho did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. In using that language, in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/opinions/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ted-yoho-alaimo/index.html

kizmet1

Jul-30

I am not familiar with what she said. Just know of her do to the really goofy things she has said.
kizmet1 said:

I am not familiar with what she said. Just know of her due to the really goofy things she has said.

Same here. I'm also aware of how she drove out the Amazon warehouse from an area that badly could have used those jobs.

MerlinsDad

Jul-30

If you are concerned about misogyny, and all women should be, read the link I provided.  I think you will agree with her statements.

kizmet1

Jul-30

Oh yes. That really hurt a lot of people.
Someone could easily write a big book filled with nothing but the goofy things she has said and done.
I can barely wait to see how the election treats her.

Yeah, I've read and heard o enough weirdness that at times my reaction has been disbelief, of the kind I used to have when "stepbum" and his GF a couple of decades ago would just watch Jerry Springer, because it was so hard to wrap my mind around the idea that any real person could have such a bizarre set of theories about how the world worked.

AOC's economic belief system and theories could be compared to Jerry Springer show guests' interpersonal relationship theories, mostly from the common thread of their bizarreness and distance outside of any boundaries of acceptability I'd learned.

While I'm not an MBA from Harvard and don't play one on TV, at least I have some common sense as to basically how business, economics, and the appropriate roles of government are supposed to work.

Then running the Jerry Springer guest analogy way out there, while I was incredibly deficient in the kind of people skills and relationship skills to be very successful in that area through my teenage years and 20s to such an extent that I was a classic "lone wolf", even I realized that those kind of guests were so far outside the lines that I could laugh at the bizarreness.

Speaking of voters at least cleaning out one loose cannon from Congress, I heard on the radio yesterday, when reviewing the off the air audio captures, that one of AOC's squad mates in her "Mean Girls' Club", Omar someone, lost her primary and thus no longer has her party's nomination for another term.

It was a caller to the morning talk radio show that spilled the beans Wednesday morning, this is the Congresswoman from Somalia who married her biological brother (and the whole extended family covered it all up) to get a Green Card to initially move to the US and eventually become a citizen along the road to running for Congress.

And that's the other bit of news that instantly clicked in my mind of the whole Jerry Springer analogy, because, of course guests on that show make the big reveal to their spouse or long term girlfriend / boyfriend such cringe-worthy things as "I'm cheating on you with my uncle's goat".

Of course with Omar losing in the primary, I wonder how long it will take for ICE to quietly go all "CSI" and get hold of some DNA from both of them for comparison. Then, to use a tv trope, "hilarity ensues". Well, hilarity for those of us with a voyeuristic streak in watching the mighty get hoisted by their own petard, not that funny at all for those on the receiving end of all the consequences that are home to roost.

kizmet1 said:

I can barely wait to see how the election treats her.

Oh, she'll win re-election because the (D) party owns that district by such a wide margin they don't even need the infamous cemetery or the prison or illegal immigrant vote bloc to hold on to that seat by maybe a 98% of the votes cast.

If that seat ever flips (R), my first reaction would be that Hell must have frozen over.