Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will Trump's sudden encounter with reality improve his poll numbers?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jul-25 by MerlinsDad; 1172 views.
MerlinsDad

Poll Question From MerlinsDad

Jul-25

Will Trump's sudden encounter with reality improve his poll numbers?
  • Yes4  votes
    40%
  • No0  votes
    0%
  • Isn't he just creating an illusion to convey his delusion that he's competent...3  votes
    30%
  • Maybe3  votes
    30%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes 
No 
Isn't he just creating an illusion to convey his delusion that he's competent... 
Maybe 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-25

Excerpts from an opinion piece by Julian Zelizer, “a professor of political history and an author at Princeton University.  Zelizer has authored or co-authored several books about American political history; his focuses of study are the second half of the 20th century and the 21st century.”

I know that there will be those who will take this hypocritical change as a valid testimony that Trump has been struck with a bolt of lightning from reality.  I'm skeptical.  More than skeptical.  Trump is simply trying to pull votes by creating the illusion that he has really entered the real world with the rest of us.  He will trip himself up repeatedly.

Trump mocked the use of face masks and was not publicly seen wearing one until earlier this month. He shouldn't get the equivalent of a political cookie for finally putting on a mask more than seven months after the virus first emerged and suddenly declaring himself patriotic for doing so [bolding min --MD]. Trump has sidelined scientific experts such as Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert, just when the country needed them the most. As a result of Trump's actions, the Covid crisis is continuing to spiral out of control in the US, while countries like Italy and Germany are reopening.

The President who loves to flex his power has refused to direct a coordinated, national response that would have been far more effective than the haphazard, jerry-built policies we are now left with. Instead of sending militarized law enforcement agents into Portland, Oregon, to stop the "criminal actions" of "violent anarchists," according to the US Customs and Border Protection, Trump should have been sending armies of contact tracers and testers into every part of the country [bolding min --MD].

Now the President can't escape the quagmire he helped create. The administration has utterly botched its response, and Trump's decision to call off the events in Jacksonville is just one piece of evidence that he can't get out from underneath this crisis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/opinions/welcome-to-the-real-world-trump-rnc-coronavirus-zelizer/index.html

kizmet1

Jul-25

Many voters who live or work walking distance to the rioting were happy someone was trying to help their situation. A lot are wondering if they will be in business in the fall.
MerlinsDad

Jul-26

Am I to understand that this comment indicates that you are willing to accept Trump's unrequested authoritarian invasion of an American city with militarized federal agents, which some suggest has only exacerbated the situation?

kizmet1

Jul-26

Stop trying to be so intellectual as you sit behind the safety of a computer. There are innocent people losing their jobs, their homes and mostly, their peace of mind. If cops and soldiers can help them, I am for it. At least they have been legally trained to defend public property. The rioters are not even marching with a permit. They are tossing illegal fireworks at the police when they are not trying to break into Federal property.
Wait until it happens in your area. Will you take your wife and go out and riot, too? I doubt it. You live far from any place that could be a target for rioters. It is different when it is your neighborhood. I was a child when I watched the marchers go by in the 60's. It was scary. Do you care that children are being frightened now, just because of where they live?
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-26

I have seen others promoting what they don’t experience or understand in other places online.  You have firsthand experience and it’s terrifying.  Making this political rather than a safety issue dilutes the dangers.  It is very dangerous for anyone with a home or business in a riot zone.  Calling it a protest doesn’t change the fact that people are being injured and property is being destroyed. Being anti-riots should not be political.  It is a human rights issue. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-26

You have my sympathies for your previous difficulties.  I can imagine how upsetting that would be.  How would you suggest that peace be established to that situation in Portland?

kizmet1

Jul-26

Thank you. Yes, it was scary for me in a big house with a dog outside and another inside and my uncle being a hunter around guns since he was a child. When marchers go by you not only worry about yourself but all the neighbors on the street who are without dogs, guns and someone well trained in shooting. My uncle had to kill or be killed in WW2. Not something that made him happy.
kizmet1

Jul-26

Politicians need to get some backbones and stress that they do not control the Federal owned buildings nor who can protect them. The buck stops at Trump's desk. The local ministers have to unite and encourage rioters to stop breaking laws and go home before people die, esoecially children being dragged along, mask and all. Doctors need to educate the rioters in how the virus is spread. A mask will not protect the wearer. A mask aids an infected wearer from infecting others. The virus numbers have gone up rapidly since the rioting started. Most of all, stop the violence. A Black man living 2 blocks away got tired of the noise and grabbed an American flag and walked over to the rioters. He was attacked.
MerlinsDad

Jul-26

Those are cogent remarks.  Thank you.