Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's really bad that the Senate stimulus plan does not include the $600 boost to   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-26 by MerlinsDad; 3053 views.
MerlinsDad

Poll Question From MerlinsDad

Jul-26

It's really bad that the Senate stimulus plan does not include the $600 boost to unemployment.
  • Yes3  votes
    17%
  • No6  votes
    35%
  • A lot more people are going to go hungry4  votes
    23%
  • Maybe1  vote
    5%
  • Other3  votes
    17%
Yes 
No 
A lot more people are going to go hungry 
Maybe 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-26

But it is a good thing that they propose to lengthen the eviction moratorium.

White House officials and Senate Republicans are finalizing a bill that would offer $1,200 checks to many Americans and that would not renew the full unemployment insurance enhancement [[bolding mine --MD] as part of a proposal for the next stimulus bill set to be unveiled Monday, several top administration officials said Sunday.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" that $1,200 checks to Americans will be part of the new recovery package, in addition to reemployment bonuses, retention bonuses and tax credits for small businesses and restaurants.

Kudlow also said the Republican proposal will lengthen the federal eviction moratorium that is lapsing. The $600 weekly boost to unemployment benefits that many Americans have relied upon is also expiring this week [bolding mine __MDhttps://www.cnn.com/2020/07/26/politics/kudlow-republicans-checks-unemployment-cnntv/index.html
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-27

Monday, July 27

Millions of jobless Americans are anxiously waiting for Congress to decide whether to extend the $600 weekly boost to unemployment benefits that's been a key economic lifeline through the pandemic shutdowns [bolding mine --MD].

This was the last week for which unemployed workers will receive the enhanced payment, even though the coronavirus relief program technically doesn't expire until July 31. That's because payments are only provided for weeks ending on either Saturday or Sunday.

Senate Republicans remain divided over how much help to provide, delaying the release of their next economic relief proposal -- though Republican Sen. John Thune of South Dakota said this past week that the pressure of missing a deadline on

SQUADDYB

Jul-27

How about the other side of the coin?

The extra $600.00 doesn't motivate the chronically lazy, and those who now find themselves with more disposable income than what they were earning whence actually working, to return to work. You have read those news reports, right?

Surely you must concur, that, logically,  it makes no sense to pay people more to sit at home on their ass than they received at work? 

MerlinsDad

Jul-27

I think the more realistic alternatives are that if $600 is sufficient to motivate people not to go back to work during a pandemic, either they're justifiably deeply concerned about the virus, or the employers simply aren't paying enough.

SQUADDYB

Jul-27

or the employers simply aren't paying enough.<<<<

I had a feeling that was simmering at the bottom of your cauldron.

?Hopefully you're not one of those people who seemingly forget that someone goes into business with a view to making a profit. Not all businesses have the ability to pay Teamster scale wages and a full benefits package.

If you're not happy with what your current job pays, then better yourself, get the trade and/or skill training and/or appropriate education to move up the pay scale!

MerlinsDad

Jul-27

I notice that you didn't comment on those motivated not to return to work because of fear of the virus.  I presume you think $600 a week a reasonable alternative to endangering themselves?

kizmet1

Jul-27

Pay me that much money and I will be happy to go to work.
SQUADDYB

Jul-27

The extra $600.00 was a nice gesture. Time now to go back to the normal rates. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-27

You are unconcerned then for those who fear contacting the virus?