Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you afraid to share your opinions in public because of fear of retribution?    The Serious You: Politics

Started Jul-27 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 587 views.
$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Poll Question From $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Jul-27

Are you afraid to share your opinions in public because of fear of retribution? (snp)
  • No7  votes
    43%
  • Yes - and have a post-graduate degree1  vote
    6%
  • Yes - and have a Bachelor of arts degree1  vote
    6%
  • Yes - and have a Bachelor of Science degree1  vote
    6%
  • Yes - and have a high school diploma with some college0  votes
    0%
  • Yes - and have a high school diploma only0  votes
    0%
  • Yes - one of the above and have a career in teaching1  vote
    6%
  • Yes - one of the above and have a career in performing arts0  votes
    0%
  • Yes - one of the above and have a career in legal or political work0  votes
    0%
  • Yes - one of the above and am retired4  votes
    25%
  • Other.1  vote
    6%
No 
Yes - and have a post-graduate degree 
Yes - and have a Bachelor of arts degree 
Yes - and have a Bachelor of Science degree 
Yes - and have a high school diploma with some college 
Yes - and have a high school diploma only 
Yes - one of the above and have a career in teaching 
Yes - one of the above and have a career in performing arts 
Yes - one of the above and have a career in legal or political work 
Yes - one of the above and am retired 
Other. 
In reply toRe: msg 1

62% of Americans Say they Have Political Views They are Afraid to Share

https://www.cato.org/publications/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share

... Younger people are also more concerned than older people, irrespective of political viewpoint. Examining all Americans under 65, 37% of those under 30 are worried their political opinions could harm their career trajectories, compared to 30% of 30–54 year-?olds and 24% of 55–64 year-?olds. But the age gap is more striking taking into account political views. A slim majority (51%) of Republicans under 30 fear their views could harm their career prospects compared to 39% of 30–44 year-?olds, 34% of 45–54 year-?olds, and 28% of 55–64 year-?old Republicans. Democrats reflect a similar but less pronounced pattern. A third (33%) of Democrats under 30 worry they have views that could harm their current and future jobs, compared to 27% of 30–54 year-?olds, and 19% of 55–64 year-?old Democrats. ... These data suggest that a significant minority of Americans from all political persuasions and backgrounds—particularly younger people who have spent more time in America’s universities—are most likely to hide their views for fear of financial penalty. ...

... Taking these results together indicates that a significant majority of Americans with diverse political views and backgrounds self-?censor their political opinions. This large number from across demographic groups suggests withheld opinions may not simply be radical or fringe perspectives in the process of being socially marginalized. Instead many of these opinions may be shared by a large number of people. Opinions so widely shared are likely shaping how people think about salient policy issues and ultimately impacting how they vote. But if people feel they cannot discuss these important policy matters, such views will not have an opportunity to be scrutinized, understood, or reformed.

In reply toRe: msg 2

and here's other bits of the survey that leapt out at me, and also was discussed on a radio program this past weekend (bold emphasis mine):

... Although strong liberals are the only group who feel they can say what they believe, the share who feel pressured to self-?censor rose 12 points from 30% in 2017 to 42% in 2020. The share of moderates who self-?censor increased 7 points from 57% to 64%, and the share of conservatives rose 70% to 77%, also a 7-?point increase. Strong conservatives are the only group with little change. They are about as likely now (77%) to say they hold back their views as in 2017 (76%). ...

Nearly a third (32%) of employed Americans say they personally are worried about missing out on career opportunities or losing their job if their political opinions became known. These results are particularly notable given that most personal campaign contributions to political candidates are public knowledge and can easily be found online.  ... And it’s not just one side of the political spectrum: 31% of liberals, 30% of moderates and 34% of conservatives are worried their political views could get them fired or harm their career trajectory. This suggests that it’s not necessarily just one particular set of views that has moved outside of acceptable public discourse. Instead these results are more consistent with a “walking on eggshells” thesis that people increasingly fear a wide range of political views could offend others or could negatively impact themselves.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-27

I believe it’s true, even on Delphi.  Look at what happened every time I tried to post something to expand a discussion to open other sides.

I suspect this is also why many polls end up getting it wrong as well. I've heard numerous radio hosts say that people are likely lying to pollsters, saying what they think they want to hear.

And the public record of personal donations to campaigns has had a measurable chilling effect for several election cycles but especially in the past 6 years or so. I personally know people who have declined to donate to a campaign because they could not "launder" it some way to remain anonymous, and because their name would be easily findable by anyone searching on line, they chose to not make a campaign contribution and thus avoid retaliation by the "social justice warrior mob".

So in 2016 when you have millions of people wary of being tagged with all sorts of bad things happening, they stayed silent or just role-play acted like they supported someone else on the stage in the spotlight where they knew their bosses, the board of directors, or others who held the power of the purse strings or the leash of the SJW crowd. And they gave an Oscar winning performance precisely because they knew that if they ever slipped and broke character even for an instant, it would be game over for their career trajectory.

And only once the curtains were safely drawn in the voting booth, away from surveillance, and truly casting a secret ballot, did they pull the lever, and then once out of the booth, if they were asked about an exit poll, they would again tell the pollster what he or she thought they wanted to hear, as they would be well aware of social media and doxxing and such.

Thus when the actual ballots were counted, a perceived slam dunk turned into a different fork in the course of history.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-27

It could happen again.

Oh, definitely. This year, however, there are enough other variables in play including economic desperation among enough people, that I'd say it would be folly to believe any set of predictions.

It really depends on which way a lot of people see as the safest route for their own personal security even though often those who give up liberty for safety soon end up with neither.

We could also see a kind of hybrid result that none of the talking heads expected. Kind of like the "heads vs tails" but every now and then a coin lands on its side. Or in a small sample size you get an unusual number of consecutive heads or tails. These things which are still statistically probable and truly random can seem to have patterns where there really are none.

I've got a product fix / support gig in the morning. Not sure how much it will generate but - the idea is to try and get the thing working properly, and no one else really knows enough about it to try and fiddle with the thing.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-28

I hope it went well.

It was fairly fast to do, but I found out more of what was going on with the remnants of the company.

Seems that a couple of the heirs, who really were the biggest obstacle to getting product rollout ahead of technological obsolescence, still have delusions that the remnants of the company are worth a lot more than what I think it is, what the head bookkeeper thinks it is, and what our former CEO thinks it is.

Funny thing was I heard that those two heirs were whining about how all the leftover junk in the motor home shed turned warehouse was going to ever get cleaned out.

Um, like how the CEO and I spent a couple of weeks getting dirty and sweaty and sifting through stuff to rescue from the landfill that could help some of the bigger former customers keep legacy hardware going until something new can be done further downstream.

Like, maybe if us old folks could load up a couple of pickup trucks and trailers full of "junque", surely they could deal with a few stacks of sales brochures and miscellaneous stuff. It's probably what would fit in 2 pickup trucks,

So there's probably going to be an issue about branding and stuff, so we're kicking around some ideas for a whole new name.

But in the interim, I'm talking with a buddy of mine about a whole other product entirely, aimed at the ham radio market mostly, but useful for training people in STEM subjects.

But the foundational hardware and software libraries I'm going to end up developing could certainly be ported over to an oil field application. We learned some lessons from the radio project last year that we finally retrieved at the first of the month from a mountaintop and did some failure analysis. That is where the microcontroller based supervisory circuit and battery monitoring system really was hatched - the need for some smarts that was also robust and didn't have a highly complex operating system and lots of bells and whistles to bog down performance.

I think the very first thing will be a plug-on circuit board for a very popular piece of equipment, that "hardens" it so it can survive a harsh electrical environment. Then we'll build maybe a few dozen to sell on-line, get maybe another 10 or so in the field with people locally who actually know more about electronics than the average 17th century farmer, and see if they break them and how did they actually fail, which then tells me how to make the things tougher.

Then I'm wading into some solar power control logic that no one has bothered to do - or if it is, it's not easy to find on-line, or has to be kluged to really work in the application I'm thinking of.

The main thing though is any resurrection will finally be rid of the family that let the original company run into the ground. Because technological change is the one thing that is certain. Every product will some day be obsolete, and something needs to replace it long before that day arrives, and then something needs to be right behind that on the drawing board as soon as the new product is launched, and so on.

The one heir who shall be unnamed, pretty much single-handedly delayed the launch of a replacement device by nearly 3 years because he saw anything that didn't run perfectly as a totally defective mess, rather than part of how you find bugs that would never show up in contrived testing.

And as bugs are found, you modify the code and once enough changes make it worth while to push out an update, then you issue an update.

Or as our former CEO said "it will be nice to finally have _____ out of my hair."

Anyway I'm fixing some food and taking a nap and then going to do some more de-junking and organizing my shop building so I can deploy the hardware design computer and have space to actually fabricate and prototype.