Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hermain Cain, 74, dies of complications from coronavirus   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-30 by MerlinsDad; 1774 views.
MerlinsDad

Jul-30

news item  July 30

Herman Cain, former Republican presidential candidate and former CEO of a major pizza chain who went on to become an ardent supporter of President Donald Trump, has died of complications from the coronavirus. He was 74.

A post on Cain’s Twitter account on Thursday announced the death. Cain had been ill with the virus for several weeks. It’s not clear when or where he was infected, but he was hospitalized less than two weeks after attending Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in June. Cain had been co-chair of Black Voices for Trump.

“We knew when he was first hospitalized with COVID-19 that this was going to be a rough fight,” read an article posted on the Twitter account. “He had trouble breathing and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. We all prayed that the initial meds they gave him would get his breathing back to normal, but it became clear pretty quickly that he was in for a battle.”
https://apnews.com/8173fe14f7cf7095ced3b55fdc65581e

kizmet1

Jul-31

Do you think his long battle with colon cancer weakened him?
MerlinsDad

Jul-31

It's a possibility.  My understanding of the virus is  that anything which has previously weakened the immune system makes the person more vulnerable.  I certainly hope you are taking care not to expose yourself.

kizmet1

Jul-31

Yes, treatment for cancer with drugs/chemicals can weaken anyone, especially with the coronavirus.
Thank you for your concern about my health. I am very healthy as long as I avoid processed food, chemicals and drugs. And you?
MerlinsDad

Jul-31

Thank you for asking.  We're doing fine.  Staying home except for weekly trips to the grocery. 

Went out Tuesday:  had curb pickup at Wild Birds Unlimited, Sam's Club, and Home Depot.  I really like curb pickup.   We drive a van, so they simply put the items in the back. 

Went to the grocery Wednesday.  Where we shop is one of the retailers that asks everyone to wear masks.  We try to go at a time when business is slow so there aren't many in the store.  

kizmet1 said:

Do you think his long battle with colon cancer weakened him?

Probably did. Age and pre-existing conditions are already notoriously well known for aggravating morbidity as well as significantly increasing the mortality of the disease, as a lot of body systems are already in a weakened state.

The virus seems to give everyone a pretty good shove towards the grave, and the closer to it you are already for whatever reason - age, pre-existing conditions, genetic makeup, etc., the greater the odds that it will push you the rest of the way into it.

kizmet1

Aug-2

I read that hospitals get a bigger financial benefit for death from coronavirus.
kizmet1 said:

I read that hospitals get a bigger financial benefit for death from coronavirus

Exactly. If someone tried to beat a train to a grade crossing on a motorcycle and didn't, and the bits and pieces they picked up and hauled to the hospital (as if they could possibly put them together again) and the body parts tested positive for coronavirus, that's what they'd list as the cause of death.

Same if someone got into a shootout with the gang-bangers over a kilo of product that came up short. If the body tested positive, they'd put down coronavirus, even though it was kinda obvious the cause of death was a half dozen 9mm rounds to various vital organs.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-2

The scary thing is that people are reporting they signed up for a corona test, then left because the line was too slow, then got a report later saying they tested positive, to a test they never took.  When you consider places are getting paid more when they have live corona cases, it makes a lot of the number suspect.

kizmet1

Aug-2

Who made the rules to pay benefits for coronsvirus deaths in the first place?