Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will get you a Covid-19 vaccine if it’s mandatory?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started 9/23/20 by Showtalk; 11505 views.
Showtalk said:

Most of us probably did grow up different from our parents, not just people from any one country

The reality today is so different than that of our parents, we all had to grow up different. And the younger folks are coming of age in a world totally alien to what I remember as a kid.

And their kids, if they can 1) afford to have them, 2) have not effectively been sterilized by the mix of previously unknown pollutants in the environment, and 3) were ever able to lower the shields enough to pair up with someone to have them; will grow up in some environment totally alien to what the GenZ and younger Millennials were immersed in.

Covid and the economic and social impacts just accelerated those trends.

As someone else once said, citing and pondering the Fermi Paradox, maybe the reason that we have not had a confirmed detection of an extraterrestrial civilization now that the number of known exoplanets has climbed well into the high 4 to low 5 digits, is maybe even if life springs up throughout the cosmos where conditions are favorable, intelligent life tends to quickly rise and even more quickly, self-destruct.

Thus, aliens out there most likely came and went long before we were around to notice, and the next ones to rise somewhere will be long after we are extinct. A mere 200 to 1000 years is the blink of an eye in geological or cosmological terms. The odds of two intelligent civilizations existing with enough overlapping lifetime for one to detect the other may very well approach zero, even if it has arisen millions of times in our own galaxy's history.

WALTER784

Mar-12

Today's kids could not imagine listening to the radio as much or more as watching TV.

And the TV's we watched were Black and White... (I mean how racist can you get... {Chuckle})!

And we listened to LP's and 45's... today's kids thing a 45 is a gun!!!

Not to mention, we had no PC's, no internet, no portable phones, no electronic games or anything of the likes of kids today!

Helmets and pads were not required to ride a bicycle.

We played Jarts on our front or back yard lawns... currently outlawed game.

Merry go rounds and Jungle Jim's were standard park equipment.

We used sticks found in nearby woods to play Cowboys and Indians!

And probably many other things I don't readily remember.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-12

It’s poetic justice as well as typical for humans, that the very children who cause so much upheaval to their parents generation have the same done to them twenty years or so later.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-12

We had no social media!  That has been both the best and the worst cultural advancement.

So many things I remember doing as a kid would bring about a "massive official response" if a kid did that today.

And the kids suffer because they don't learn problem solving skills. I see so many people today under 30 who are totally helpless whenever a situation goes off script. They are excellent at rote memorized responses to stuff but they have no clue how to improvise effectively when things no longer follow the rigid structure they have been raised in.

And then everyone wonders why none of that generation (well very few) are having kids of their own even into their 30s and beyond. Because the compliance costs are insurmountable for most of that generation. There's a long list of required expenses that our parents never had to deal with, all of which makes having children just too expensive for most people these days.

WALTER784

Mar-20

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

And the kids suffer because they don't learn problem solving skills. I see so many people today under 30 who are totally helpless whenever a situation goes off script. They are excellent at rote memorized responses to stuff but they have no clue how to improvise effectively when things no longer follow the rigid structure they have been raised in.

Yep... they were not taught how to think for themselves or out side of the box. Both of those require ingenuity and creativity, skills which everybody should have regardless of what level.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-20

Even I did things as a child children can never do today.  We had roaming freedom.  When I was about 8, a group of children broke into a new home construction site.  We would probably be arrested now, but when they caught us, if they did, they just chased us off.  There was also a litter of kittens on site and they just left them there until they disbanded on their own. We played with them on weekends. Today they would be hauled off to a shelter and bottle fed.

• Edited March 20, 2021 1:32 pm  by  Showtalk