Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will get you a Covid-19 vaccine if it’s mandatory?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Sep-23 by Showtalk; 7240 views.
kizmet1 said:

Would you be attracted to a woman with heavy nose hair? I had a relative with a big nose and heavy hair in it. The folicles were large. It matched the hair on her head.

While I wouldn't be attracted to one, the descendants of the population that has survived and thrived, a few hundred generations along, probably will because each of those more resistant to disease will be more likely to survive to adulthood and produce offspring with the same traits.

Sort of like how mating competition has slowly produced some species of beetles with exaggerated horns and mandibles, or some species of birds with incredibly elaborate plumage, because of thousands of generations of one-upmanship.

A reverse of this kind of natural selection has been the pronounced shrinkage of elephant tusk sizes in only a century or so, which is just a tiny number of generations, because those who have large tusks were all poached for the ivory before they could produce many offspring, while the males who had tiny tusks now had no competition to find mates, thus producing small tusked offspring.

So a huge force that artificially decimates a population will be more likely to leave a surviving remnant that has a mutation that is a distinct advantage that otherwise wasn't.

this has even happened in humans. The British lost so many men in World War 1 and World War 2, that today a huge fraction of the population alive today has flat feet, unusually short statures, and other traits that were disqualifiers for military service. Those men, who were not drafted and sent to the front to be killed, were the ones to survive the wars and produce offspring.

kizmet1

Dec-11

What about princes of the royal family?
Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

Then that should be called unnatural selection.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

They all do military service.

kizmet1

Dec-12

Did Edward?
Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

Yes.

kizmet1

Dec-12

Well, all I can say is I was not wrong about Andrew. He got all the looks and hair his siblings did not.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

Looks and hair aren’t everything. He’s not a good person.

kizmet1

Dec-12

LOL. I am well aware of his past. Maybe things would have been different if he looked different. His punishment was to end up with daughters.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

He didn’t care much about his daughters.