Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How far do you live from the city you were born in?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 10/2/20 by Showtalk; 4814 views.
Workingguy2

Jul-29

I was born in a small town in Illinois called chicago.

I now live in north central WI in Wausau which is at the north end of what is mostly farm country and the southern en=dge of what is the wonderful part of the state that is woods, lakes and rivers.

WALTER784

Jul-30

I currently live 7,232.18 mi miles away from where I was born... on the other side of the world.

Central Florida to Central Japan.

FWIW

• Edited July 31, 2021 8:37 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jul-30

Those cities aren’t too far apart.

Alfi (THIALFI)

Jul-31

That number seems too small.

WALTER784

Jul-31

You are right... I calculated kilometers to miles wrong...

It should be 7,232.18 miles.

I went back up and correct it in the original post too.

FWIW

Alfi (THIALFI)

Aug-1

That sounds much more reasonable. I was going to say 7000 miles without bothering to search, but I figured you'd check it out,

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

Metric causes trouble, LOL.

WALTER784

Aug-2

Showtalk said...

Metric causes trouble, LOL.

Chuckle... actually it's the two different measurement systems and conversion (or lack there of) that causes most of the problems. And some of those mistakes can end up costing millions of dollars.

Some Famous Unit Conversion Errors!

Story 1: On September 23, 1999 NASA lost the $125 million Mars Climate Orbiter spacecraft after a 286-day journey to Mars. Miscalculations due to the use of English units instead of metric units apparently sent the craft slowly off course - - 60 miles in all. Thrusters used to help point the spacecraft had, over the course of months, been fired incorrectly because data used to control the wheels were calculated in incorrect units. Lockheed Martin, which was performing the calculations, was sending thruster data in English units (pounds) to NASA, while NASA's navigation team was expecting metric units (Newtons). Problem 1 - A solid rocket booster is ordered with the specification that it is to produce a total of 10 million pounds of thrust. If this number is mistaken for the thrust in Newtons, by how much, in pounds, will the thrust be in error? (1 pound = 4.5 Newtons)

Several more stories are listed below:

6Page53.pdf (nasa.gov)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

User error. However, they should have built in mechanisms to correct orbit.