Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it harmful to give up teaching cursive writing in school?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 10/9/20 by Showtalk; 4867 views.
Showtalk
Host

10/10/20

That was so common. They were happy to be here and wanted to assimilate. It’s very different from immigrants today, even those who want their children to do well in school. I have seen parents self segregate their children so they don’t lose their culture. They insist on speaking their language of origin at home.  Sometimes their children can only play with others speaking the same language. When I worked with students, I saw it in their comments to me.  But I was able to use their cultures as a teaching tool so it didn’t usually interfere,

kizmet1

10/10/20

My gf only spoke Polish until starting school. Somehow, he picked it up in a hurry and excelled. As our family grew and we met the neighbors I got pretty good at identifying accents. I thought everyone had relatives with accents. Best if all, at holiday time everyone made foreign goodies.
Showtalk said:

It’s going to get worse as people who can read cursive age out of jobs and new ones working on old materials can’t read them.

A lot of information will be lost forever when it gets to that point.

Showtalk
Host

10/10/20

In cities like Chicago they had designated ethnic neighborhoods.  There was a Polish one, Irish, Lithuanian, etc.  people lived in their own little community and spoke the same language.  Some got along with others and some did not.

Showtalk
Host

10/10/20

Unless the computerize it with a sight program that can translate from cursive to print.  It’s funny, cursive doesn’t seem that difficult to read because the letters are very similar to printed.

kizmet1

10/10/20

Portland was like that, too. A lot depended on where the ethnic churches were and where the men worked before we had a good streetcar and trolley system. My gp's met on a streetcar on their way to and from work. Were of different religions so never would have met, otherwise.
Showtalk
Host

10/10/20

Do you still have a street car and trolley system? It’s interesting how they met.

kizmet1

10/10/20

Yes, of various vintages, mostly for the tourists. Not the originals. These are from overseas.
We had a great streetcar system until some know it all politicians took the rails out and sold them for scrap and improved the gas vehicles. Hah.
Showtalk
Host

10/10/20

They get ideas, mess things up and then leave office.

kizmet1

10/10/20

Yeah. Now they are trying to tear down old buildings downtown and build highrise hotels and businesses. Trouble is, hotels were not filling up before ourpandemicand the businesses are finding more and more ways for employees to work from home. In the meantime, Target is the biggest "department store" left and it is 4 blocks from the heart of the bus stops and old shopping area.
When I was a child I could see 3 Santas in one night at top department stores, and then eat at a nice restaurant and then stop at 3 dimestores on the way to the bus stop. One store, now an empty Macy's, had a train hanging from the ceiling that would circle a huge auditoreum. I could go for a ride on it, too.