Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is it harmful to give up teaching cursive writing in school?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 10/9/20 by Showtalk; 4924 views.
Showtalk
Host

10/11/20

There should be a group that gives clothing directly to the homeless.  What about contacting a Catholic charity?

marbur220

10/11/20

Kismet -

Not sure where you live but the Salvation Army will ‘normally’ not sell donations to a big reseller.  One of my son’s friends, in dire need of winter clothes for his little one, went to one of the church run charities who turned him away because he couldn’t pay their prices.  We took him to the SA and they pulled out denim, shirts, a jacket and gloves for them.  They asked him how much money he had - $2.50 he told them - they charged him $.25 for all the clothing...basically free but it didn’t feel like a handout.  I donate all my clothing to the local SA as their charter says goods, services and donations stay in the community where they are received.

kizmet1

10/11/20

I have heard that ads via mail are not being used much this year due to the virus. Maybe. I have no idea who is running locally.yt?
kizmet1

10/11/20

Not sure about them. Another problem is no one will pick up.
What makes my clothes so great is that they are for short legs.
kizmet1

10/11/20

The woman I met on the bus was helped a lot by SA but felt too many things were taken in to be sold. I'd really like to find short legged women who lost their homes in a forest fire to benefit from my pants and my car is broken.
Many years ago I gave some of my dancing clothes to GW, only to see one skirt in the room that is "as is" on it's way to the dump or a rag maker in China. It was a shock as I had had a lot of compliments on it at dances. I will never give anything to GW again
Showtalk
Host

10/11/20

That is good to hear. They sound very generous. 

Imagine someone with a dream of starting a restaurant, who sunk their entire life savings into starting one up in, say, early December or late November of 2019, in a state that was locked down longer than any others.

Same with starting up a motel or hotel, or any other travel and hospitality related start-up. Imagine the folks who opened a bed and breakfast in a resort in early 2020.

Showtalk
Host

10/14/20

I know, it’s as if their governors pointed to each of them and said, You don’t deserve a successful business. Close down now! Eventually it will be hard to find a restaurant in some areas. I’m not gong to repost because it’s easy to find but one article said over 1,000 restaurants have closed in NYC alone.  

I heard that it was more than that. And most will never re-open.

then it's even worse in D.C.

Entire industries that supplied a teeming army of petty bureaucrats with their coffee and bagels or avocado lime ranch grilled chicken wraps, are gone belly up as what were once hives of activity mostly stand silent.

Unfortunately, they are working from home, which of course means the vast juggernaut of the federal government is busy wreaking havoc on the little guy's lives just like they have in the past.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis

Showtalk
Host

10/14/20

They will miss the closed places much more when they are back at work.