Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Approve Of Labradoodle Breeding?   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Oct-27 by kizmet1; 5378 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-30

You are in a rural enough area that you must get some good mixes. Try a shelter in or near any major city. The shelter dogs will be 90% pits or pit mixes.

kizmet1

Oct-30

But would they do it if they couldn't get a lot of money? I know the breeder and have followed her online. At one point her poodle had a litter of 12. 12 X $1,500 is a lot. IMO, that is animal abuse.
I have seen dogs up for adoption at the Humane Society. There are way too many unwanted puppies available.
kizmet1

Oct-30

Right. No matter what, dogs must get along with cats especially when they have their food sniffed at by one.
Showtalk said:

Try a shelter in or near any major city. The shelter dogs will be 90% pits or pit mixes.

That's sad. And I'd suspect that because of the bad rap that breed of dog has gotten, a lot of them probably end up euthanized.

When I was a kid, we had a dog that had a more "eewww" relationship with the cats. If you dare, google the phrase "Litter box crunchies".

kizmet1 said:

12 X $1,500 is a lot.

O. M. G.

While some people wonder if they can keep the lights on, others are flaunting that they have so much money to burn they'd spend that much on a puppy.

It makes me think of the Chinese Sharpei craze about 30-odd years ago. Dog with incredibly over-sized skin so it's very wrinkled, a Yuppie fashion statement. Those who spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they can't stand.

But then,. I guess I never saw any value in making a statement or flaunt wealth. But then I knew someone who probably had a net worth well over $10 million who shopped at WalMart, and the only thing that really was a tip-off that maybe they had a lot more means than the average working stiff, was that he held an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic's license, and had an assortment of vintage aircraft he was always working on, sometimes shooing some of the cat collection out of a fuselage to install rivets, or would be sitting at a large workbench with engine parts spread out and being meticulously put into the engine block on a Tuesday, then on Saturday, crank up that particular airplane with the rebuilt engine, do some static ground tests, then taxi it out to take off to do a test flight.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-30

Yes they can make a lot of money. It’s abuse if they are poorly bred, don’t get proper health screening and are physically harmed. Making money isn’t abusive, but intentionally breeding sick or animals with poor temperaments is.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-30

Unfortunately even more get adopted into unsuspecting homes where they can maim or kill people or other dogs.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-30

Well bred dogs cost around $2,000 and up.  A lot goes into a good breeding, including importing expensive parents who are proven workers and other things. I’m not sure all the costs but Sol will know.

maybe:

$10,000 for an imported sire. Dams are more often bred by the kennel.

$3,000 and 3 years to title a dog

$2,000 up for health and wellness care until the dogs are around age 3.

That is a minimum of $15,000 just for the sire.  If they get one litter of 10 at $2,000 apiece, that is a profit of only $5,000 and there are no guarantees at all with a first litter.  The dam may not produce 10 sellable puppies. What if there are only 3 in a litter?  What if there are 10 but 1-2 are stillborn, and others have defects so they can’t be sold?  If the breeder can’t sell a puppy they have to keep it.

That is just the tip of the iceberg on breeding.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-30

If you have the time or interest, please read this whole discussion and comment.  Please no mauling pics.  I think we all get the idea about pits.