Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dump SAMSUNG!!   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Dec-5 by kizmet1; 5496 views.
Showtalk said:

If anyone has storage and transport for cans, you do. You must drink a lot of coke.

Not really. But from 1985 to the present they slowly accumulate decade over decade.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-13

You haven’t recycled a can in 35 years?

I recycled quite a few earlier on, but when the price of aluminum is way down I just accumulate them until there's a whole truck load. Then I'll track the price and plan a trip when it seems to be high enough to justify the trip. It's been a while. Copper has gone way up so maybe aluminum will get up there this year.

We have a special needs cat that gets wet food in aluminum cans. So I throw the empties out where an ant colony is at, let the ants clean out the residue, then once they are clean, line them up in the driveway, start up the car, and drive over them to crush a few hundred in a single pass.

Then they are thrown into barrels. Each barrel of crushed cans weighs up to 600 pounds.

I might set up a furnace / kiln to melt a bunch of them down, since pure aluminum melts at about 1,250 degrees F. Then just cast the aluminum into convenient ingots.

The slag can be recycled separately but has to go to a plant that can electrolytically separate bauxite, but the pure aluminum is pretty much ready to re-melt and use.

I've got some experiments up my sleeve this summer.

One involves a 6 foot dish with a whole bunch of 1 inch mirror squares glued to the surface, mounted to track the sun. It's got more than enough focused energy to melt an incredible amount of aluminum on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-20

You are making your own solar energy.  That sounds very complicated.  How do you come up with those ideas and plans?

Showtalk
Host

Mar-20

Would you be interested in helping someone with some tech questions about going off grid? It’s on Delphi. If you have the time and the interest, I can PM you a link. I know you aren’t off grid but you could be and you know how to do it.

Showtalk said:

You are making your own solar energy. That sounds very complicated. How do you come up with those ideas and plans?

Most of the answer lies in my assorted search history and browsing history over the past couple of decades, and the collections of books I have that go back to the 1970s.

Showtalk said:

Would you be interested in helping someone with some tech questions about going off grid? It’s on Delphi. If you have the time and the interest, I can PM you a link. I know you aren’t off grid but you could be and you know how to do it.

I could try. Sometimes I have days that I don't get on-line at all, but ...

Showtalk
Host

Mar-26

You are also interested in learning more.

Yep. I've been studying electrical codes and other stuff so my growing solar installation actually is safe and reliable. Some of the off-grid photovoltaic systems can have voltages up to 600 volts DC, which requires special connectors and special fuses and circuit breakers, as high voltage DC has a tendency to form an arc that is difficult to extinguish, compared to an AC arc that during the zero crossing waveform can often be interrupted.

Focused sunlight has its own issues, because the amount of energy at the focal point of a parabolic reflector can be incredible, especially if you have one bigger than about a couple of feet in diameter. Just an old DishTV that has been covered with mirror tiles can melt steel if it stays on it for more than a minute or so. If wind knocks it out of alignment, the focused sunlight can hit the ground and melt the soil, or set fire to anything it touches even if it is somewhat de-focused.

And you take a 10 foot dish and mirror surface it, that thing is practically like having a death ray that is always on whenever the sun is shining. Remember the Greek story about setting fire to the enemy ships with sunlight reflected from polished metal shields?

There's a lot of safety protocols you have to use with parabolic mirrors when not in use, such as locking them down facing away from the sun.

Another solar thing is using black agricultural polyethylene tubing with water circulating through it. That can be laid out on a roof, and if you really want to get hot water, you can put it all under glass panes to help trap the radiant heat as well. You can boil water if you use enough tubing and it is well insulated from surrounding air so the temperature keeps rising.

Another solar project I worked on but never completed, uses parabolic troughs that focus sunlight onto blackened steel pipe. These can heat water to well beyond the steam critical temperature, and pretty close to the critical pressure, which gives you true industrial steam. This is the kind of punch that can spin a turbine, or otherwise do an incredible amount of useful work.

But now photovoltaics and other solid state technologies have made high powered systems more economical than steam in many situations.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-28

Can you repost that on the other forum? Please!  I messaged you a link through Delphi private messages.