Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you tired of washing your hands so often?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Feb-11 by Showtalk; 2292 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Risa (Risa25)

Mar-15

Frequent handwashing also helps to prevent flu, norovirus, and Hepatitis A. All good reasons to keep your hands clean. Most liquid hand soaps are gentle on the skin. Sanitisers kill germs, but they will not kill the bacteria that cause eColi--for this you need soap and water and rinsing thoroughly after washing. Keep your towels clean too. Dry with paper towels in public restrooms; those blow dryers spread germs. Or just let them air dry.
Showtalk
Host

Mar-16

I didn’t know blow dryers spread bacteria. Many of our public restrooms don’t have paper towels.  It’s kind of like reusable grocery bags. When they were first introduced, I said they would end up spreading bacteria, and they did.  During Covid, stores banned them and went back to paper or plastic.

Risa (Risa25)

Mar-17

Another reason to use paper towels is to turn the taps (faucets) off and on for washing your hands in restrooms that don't have the automatic ones. If you turn on the faucets with your hands after using the toilet without using a paper towel, then germs are transmitted from your hands to the faucets. Not just COVID but other nasties. I've been using that method for years. I worked in a hospital that had plumbing so old, you stepped on a floor lever to flush the toilets, but at least you didn't touch the handle. I use toilet roll for that:)
Showtalk
Host

Mar-17

I have done that too.

WALTER784

Mar-18

Risa (Risa25) said...

Another reason to use paper towels is to turn the taps (faucets) off and on for washing your hands in restrooms that don't have the automatic ones.

Since the lock down started in Japan, all air blow hand driers were turned off. They can blow the virus throughout the air. Thus the use of paper towels or your own pocket handkerchief is now the new norm. So much for new technology huh?

On another note, good ventilation is required as well, so the use of fans and opening of windows even during winter months also because the new norm.

So now... please explain to me... how can air blow hand driers spread the virus but fans cannot? I still haven't been able to figure that out other than another government blunder!!! (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-18

A good ventilation system sucks out dirty air and pushes in clean air. A filtration system captures particles.

WALTER784

Mar-19

Good explanation... thanks.

FWIW

In reply toRe: msg 32
The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-19

Just wanted to put this out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg

Mark Rober is a youtuber and former Nasa Mars Rover engineer, this video explains brilliantly the benefits of hand washing and how easily germs can spread, it's highly beneficial to watch.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-19

Two problems with that.  We don’t get enough covid on our hands to give us the disease, even if it’s in surfaces. People get it through repeated airborne transmission.  The other is that some exposure to germs is healthy as we build up natural resistance. So if people frantically wash their hands all the time in fear of Covid, they also reduce their natural immunities to other things.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-19

I think both those points are debatable but to your points I have heard recently that Covid's ability to reside on surfaces for long periods of time is not as long as originally thought, I can certainly say from experience with illness that it's entirely from touching my face that I've gotten sick and we know that droplets do fall, again this is why masks are so important, to prevent droplet expulsion and distribution. As to the contention that we loose natural resistance if handwashing is too frequent, I've heard that a lot but haven't seen anyone prove this scientifically.

https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/05/03/how-does-not-washing-your-hands-make-you-a-healthier-person/

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/why-handwashing.html