Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should Texas secede?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Feb-12 by Clothahump; 3810 views.

The electric infrastructure was totally caught with their pants down, en flagrante delicto when that winter storm hit. People are still repairing things. Some are still waiting for plumbers to deal with pipes that were in exterior walls that froze and burst, so the truck stops are where thousands are having to go to shower every day and laundromats are staying very busy with people who have all those things but still no running water nearly a month later.

Store supply chains have started to catch up, but building materials and plumbing supplies have nearly doubled. 2x4 framing lumber has spiked to almost $10 a board, and I remember not too long ago buying them for about $2.50 to $4 depending on whether #2 yellow pine stud grade or premium cabinet / furniture grades.

someone said that building a new house now, just the extra price of lumber would add $25,000 to the construction cost, on top of whatever obscene markup the developers are tacking on.

Pipe has about doubled. I am so thankful I have a bunch of bulk schedule 80 PVC pipe and a threading machine. So I could cut pieces to custom length from 21 foot joints, then thread them to replace split risers and even do some upgrades.

Copper has skyrocketed. A 500 foot roll of 10 awg stranded type THHN wire has shot from $78.50 when I bought several right when I started back to work again, to $137.78 when I looked on Wednesday out of morbid curiosity.

Maybe I need to clean out the ammo out of a gun safe and lock up the copper wire and copper plumbing fittings instead, and have the ammo handy to defend the building materials against mauraders once things get like a mad Max movie - hahaha.

Showtalk said:

There are people in the U.S. who might like California to secede.

There are people in the US who would say to California - "Please, secede. And don't let the door hit yer butt on the way out, and good riddance."

But given enough time, plate tectonics will do the job anyway. Then at some point maybe much sooner, the San Andreas fault and several others will break loose at the same time and most of the densely populated areas will turn to rubble in a few seconds, then the tsunami unleashed by the abrupt elevation and horizontal movements of that part of the crust will finish the job.

Nope. Not gonna set foot out there. The Big One is coming. Geological evidence suggests it will make the big quakes in the past 200 years seem like a walk in the park by comparison.

Clothahump said:

Heads are gonna roll over this at ERCOT and rightly so.

I think ERCOT had a 100% turnover of their board of directors.

What will probably end up happening though, is, kind of like the unlucky people on shift that night in April of 1986 in Ukraine, at a power plant known as Chernobyl. The bureaucrats who set in place policies that led up to the disaster pretty much were just "re-assigned" while it was the unlucky people right there who desperately tried to keep things from getting worse, were the ones who died years later in a Russian prison of complications from heavy radiation exposure.

It's always the little guy who gets the blame and bears the brunt of any disaster while the upper management who set up the total Charlie Foxtrot rarely face any serious consequences.

Yeah, I remember reading about Robert "Sheets" Byrd, long term ossified (D) Senator, poster boy for the need for Congressional term limits, and big muckety-muck Klansman hiding in plain sight.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-13

Your building supplies might be more valuable than ordinary guns.  There are times when hoarding items for the future is a good idea. This is one of them.  Are there enough builders to fix everything that is broken?

Showtalk
Host

Mar-13

They predict the big one. It never happens. Many little ones do.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-13

Someone made the bad decisions. They should be fired. Or be honest and quit.

Showtalk said:

Are there enough builders to fix everything that is broken?

Not for a few months. It's not like a tornado though, where there is total destruction in a small area. It's more like a lot of ticky-tacky McMansions in the bigger city suburbs that were shoddily built but looked fancy and nice, where pipes froze and burst and tens of thousands of gallons of water spewed into the exterior walls until someone could finally shut off the water. And of course while those tools to open the manhole cover and reach in and turn off the water at the meter are readily available, most people don't have them and of course there were nowhere enough of them in stock in the stores that had power and could open, to possibly meet the demand.

So a lot of water poured out for hours or days as homeowners desperately tried to find a way to shut water off.

Many did just call 911 and fire trucks went down the streets with their tools getting the water off to try and reduce the amount of damage.

Showtalk said:

They predict the big one. It never happens. Many little ones do.

Geological time is a different scale than one generations' lifetime. Quakes the likes of which have never been seen since people built on the unstable landscape have happened many, many times, a few hundred to a few thousand years apart. It's just that everything was built there and so many people moved there in the geological blink of an eye, which is why it hasn't happened yet. But it's coming, and the generation unlucky enough to be around when it happens will be the one wiped out.

Showtalk said:

Someone made the bad decisions. They should be fired. Or be honest and quit.

Bad decisions made month and years ago.

Woefully unprepared.

Some of those should go to prison.