Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Did you lose power during the Great Storm of 2021?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started Feb-18 by Showtalk; 4962 views.
Showtalk
Host

Mar-28

All that will do is empower colleges to raise tuition.

WALTER784

Mar-29

Showtalk said...

Well, as it's a government mandate, the schools will force the government to pick up the tab... which the government will then pass on to we the people in the form of increased taxes.

And even if the government fully reimburses them 100%... the sad thing is that colleges will continue to raise tuition.

Have colleges ever reduced tuition in the past? We always hear of them raising tuition, but have they ever reduced tuition?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Mar-29

Tuition has gone up exponentially.  Like any education system, much of that goes to pay salaries and pensions.

I am able to walk short distances , from one room to another.  Then I have to sit down when I come back.  I'm stil not able to cook a meal without getting tired, so I'm taking a break from that right now.

Most of the companies have.  Some of the companies that tried to rip people off with the high rates have folded.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-29

You have alternatives, but I know how much you enjoy cooking.  That must be disappointing.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-29

If they relied on huge bills to stay solvent, it makes sense they folded.

WALTER784

Mar-29

Showtalk said...

Tuition has gone up exponentially.  Like any education system, much of that goes to pay salaries and pensions.

Yep... constantly goes up, never comes down... but the sad thing is that the education quality never gets better, and in some cases actually gets worse.

FWIW

Showtalk said:

Like any real system, it can't continue to rise to infinity. At some tipping point there will be a demand collapse, and many colleges will discover that the higher the tuition (and other fees), the lower enrollments and more and more people move towards trade schools or even in many professional degrees, seeking education abroad.

The present trend is unsustainable.

But if the colleges ended up eating the defaulted student loans for worthless degrees, it would rein in the worst of the predatory practices.

However it ends up going in the future, it will eventually break, and it might fail in a catastrophic manner, just like an overloaded bridge, or badly corroded aging support system for a huge antenna suspended hundreds of feet above a gigantic parabolic dish (Aricebo radio telescope) (articles about mechanisms of progressive structural collapse)

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.608.3157&rep=rep1&type=pdf

https://www.metalbulletin.com/Article/1471705/Zipper-effect-overcame-World-Trade-Centers-structural-steel.html

https://theconstructor.org/building/know-how-progressive-collapse/290721/

"

Progressive collapse of a structure is defined as the spread of an initial local failure of a structural element that eventually results in the collapse of the entire structure or a major portion of it. This type of collapse occurs out of proportion; hence it is also called disproportionate collapse.

The two main reasons that trigger progressive collapse are design or construction errors and extreme loading conditions. The progressive collapse of structures is primarily categorized into five different types based on the triggering event and the resulting collapse of the structure."

Showtalk
Host

Mar-30

If you are an employee or a professor, tuition is not too high. If you are a student or parent, it is.