Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you been vaccinated for Covid 19?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started 3/6/21 by Showtalk; 4845 views.
Showtalk
Host

4/5/21

That is shocking. So people end up moving out of the city?

WALTER784

4/6/21

Showtalk said...

So people end up moving out of the city?

Tokyo has a population of 17 million during the day and 12 million at night. That means that 5 million commute in and out of Tokyo daily. Some only have a 30 ~ 45 minute commute while others have 1.5 ~ 2 hour commutes.

My place is 1.5 hours away, but I have 282 sq. meters and the land alone cost me US$77,000 plus, I build a two story home on it for an additional $260,000, so for me... the price of my home was greater than the price of the property. But that's in a very rural area 1.5 hours away from Tokyo. Had I try to purchase the same thing in downtown Tokyo, I would have had to be a billionaire and the price of the property would probably have been 15 ~ 20 times more than the house.

As such, most people who live in downtown Tokyo rent rather than purchase. A very few lucky ones who had their parent's land handed down to them still have property. But they too have a big problem... it's called inheritance tax.

Back in 1986, an old friend of mine (68 years old), had this beautiful large property right in downtown Tokyo. He passed away in 1999 and his son inherited the land. The inheritance tax was $363,636 and the yearly property tax he had to pay was exorbitant as well. His son was unable to afford paying the tax so he worked with a local real estate developer to tear down his father's single story house, split the land in two and built 2 two story houses on that land. He rented out one of those two store homes for $5,400 per month and he initially lived in the other one.

Several years later, the real estate agent made him an offer... he would sell the land and the two homes to the real estate agent for a very hefty price AND would receive a very large high rise mansion free of charge (except for the elevator and yearly maintenance fees, water, gas & electric.)

So not only is it expensive to purchase in downtown Tokyo, but inheritance tax, land tax and various other fees make it expensive to maintain as well.

So yes, the majority either rent in downtown Tokyo or move into the suburbs and purchase either a mansion or home.

When I first bought my place 34 years ago, land was only $270 per sq meter. Now, my land is appraised at approx. $700 sq. meter. But my mortgage was for 25 years and thus it's long paid off for several years now.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

4/6/21

Is it nicer living outside the city?  Or do you miss out on a lot?  That is a good sized house. 3,000 sq ft in U.S. terms.

Where was the mansion the man moved to?

WALTER784

4/7/21

Well, the father of the guy who acquired that plot of land actually inherited a slightly smaller plot of land from his father in 1920. That plot of land was about a 15 minute walk to the Imperial Palace right smack in the middle of Tokyo.

After WWII, another man who owned that plot of land he acquired, traded it with him for his father's land 15 minute walk from the Imperial Palace. My friend (the father of the guy who acquired it) liked the idea of getting such a large piece for the smaller piece of land he owned. But the land he acquired was like about a 50 minute walk from the Imperial Palace instead of the 15 minute walk of his father's place.

The mansion the son got was also about the same distance from the Imperial Palace, but about 10 kilometers away, but still in greater downtown Tokyo.

I myself lived in downtown Tokyo for several years. It's convenient, but expensive. And you don't have that much greenery.

The son of my friend was born and raised in downtown Tokyo and thus that's the only life he's known. I on the other hand was brought up in a more rural area and thus enjoy nature and the natural surroundings that come with it.

He can walk 5 minutes and buy just about anything. I require a car to go buy something.

He doesn't have a front or back yard, but shares the 1st floor with hundreds of other people. I have a front and back yard and only share it with my family.

I can park 3 cars in front of my house, but he has to pay $700 or more per month to just park one car if he has one.

I often watch wild quail running around in front of my house. He will never ever be able to experience that.

I have to cut my own lawn several times a year. He doesn't have to.

I breath fresh air daily where as he's in downtown Tokyo and thus must breath the smog that's constantly pumped into the air.

I hang my clothes on the clothes line in front of my house. He has to hang his either on his verandah or on the roof of the mansion he lives in. Both will show the same results... black soot from the smog on his clothing hung outside.

I live a 15 minute drive to the Pacific ocean. He lives about 1.5 hours from the Pacific ocean.

Personally, I never really liked living in downtown Tokyo, but put up with it for several years until I moved out to a better place.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

4/7/21

Your lifestyle sounds better and more relaxing but some people love cities and the diversity of cultures, food, and entertainment.  In addition to work.

To get back to vaccines, things are opening in California, but with severe restrictions. Other states are going to be similar.

WALTER784

4/8/21

Showtalk said...

According to the California Department of Public Health, people will be required to get a COVID-19 test or show proof of being fully vaccinated to attend an indoor reception, meeting, or conference beginning April 15.

ROFLMAO...

The reason I laugh is because of the COVID-19 test firstly and then because you have to show proof of being fully vaccinated.

Get a test on Apr 2nd, 2021 and test negative. Go to a private home party on the evening of Apr 2nd or 3rd or 4th, 2021 and get COVID-19. On Apr 12th, 2021, you want to enter  an indoor activity and thus show your Apr 2nd, 2021 test results! Bwa ha ha ha ha...

As for showing proof of being fully vaccinated... are you required to show proof that you're a registered voter to vote? Or is that yet another double standard?

It's just the State flexing their muscles and seeing how many will jump through their hoops. If I lived in California, I would have moved out a long time ago.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

4/8/21

No the test has to be within 24 hours, something like that.  But that assumes the door monitor or bouncer actually checks the proof closely. It’s only as good as the person doing the checking.

WALTER784

4/9/21

Showtalk said...

No the test has to be within 24 hours, something like that.

So you would have to be tested almost daily if you were out and about every day!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

4/9/21

Before going to a big event, yes.

WALTER784

4/9/21

Showtalk said...

Before going to a big event, yes.

What about going to the indoor restaurant right around the corner from your office? Or the pub across the street? Or the shopping center down the road? Or the supermarket?

And don't forget, some states are refusing to issue COVID passports while there are already fake vaccination results you can buy online for $25 ~ $30?

FWIW