Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Was Meghan Markle right to air royal family secrets to Oprah?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 3/8/21 by Showtalk; 11442 views.
Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

I don’t define her as above but as different, fulfilling a traditional function.  

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

Is mise. (Altermahn) said:

but she's still your head of state.

Again, not in anyway that makes any decisions so no one pays it much mind. 

A head of state is the public face, if you like, of a country, and represents the people. Your head of state doesn't do any of that.

Right. Our Prime Minister does that, her representative, the Governor General merely acts as a ceremonial figure. 

I genuinely fail to understand how a person can say they are proud of their country when they place so little value in themselves as a citizen and in the role of head of state

You don't know anything about Canada so you can't make that case that we place little value on our citizenship, it simply isn't the case at all. 

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

The last vestiges of British control were removed in 1982 by Act of the Federal Government and the Provinces.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

Showtalk said:

"Are you aware that the Head of State of a country has different obligations than the Head of Government" In some countries. Not in my country, where our President, as in Germany, Italy etc. is not the head of Government, but the representative of all the people, of all political shades and none. It is a hugely important and prestigious symbolic role, and we have always chosen our presidents on the basis of what contributions they have made to the country. Our present incumbent is an academic, poet and human rights advocate. The previous one was also a human rights and constitutional lawyer. We respect and value their contribution and their role. The idea of not only not being able to elect someone to the role, but of having a foreigner who has visited our country a handful of times occupying this important and meaningful role is unthinkable. So please, help me understand why that doesn't matter? How can you have pride in your country when you have so little pride in the role of head of state, which is the symbolic representation of the country...  Why would a referendum to remove the monarchy and allow Canadians to aspire to the role of head of state cause conflict? This is 2021...

Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

But she is still there.

Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

Our president doesn’t attend all those types of functions. They can’t possibly do everything.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

I thought you were Canadian? 

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said:

"Again, not in anyway that makes any decisions so no one pays it much mind."

I've explained several times, and you've agree, that it's about symbolism. You just don't agree that the symbolism of monarch/subject relationship is important. 

"You don't know anything about Canada so you can't make that case that we place little value on our citizenship"

Well, if what you are telling me is true, Canadians don't care that the role of representing and embodying them is occupied by someone who doesn't live in the country. I find it strange that you would value citizenship and then be so blasé about a foreigner being the embodiment of your nationhood.

"Our Prime Minister does that, her representative, the Governor General merely acts as a ceremonial figure. "

Your governor general is representing a woman who lives in London and has no commitment or interest in your country. Your prime minister runs your country.

"

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

As a symbol, there's no power there, her supposed reps are appointed by us and not her and they can't direct our House of Commons.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

Well, if what you are telling me is true, Canadians don't care that the role of representing and embodying them is occupied by someone who doesn't live in the country. I find it strange that you would value citizenship and then be so blasé about a foreigner being the embodiment of your nationhood.

You're confusing representation with governing, that's not the case here.

Your governor general is representing a woman who lives in London and has no commitment or interest in your country. Your prime minister runs your country.

Correct, the Governor General is a ceremonial representative, that has no governing power.