Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Would you support a link tax on search engines for news articles?   The Online You: Internet Life

Started Mar-14 by Showtalk; 610 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Mar-14

Would you support a link tax on search engines for news articles?
  • Yes, we should all pay for content we use0  votes
    0%
  • No, the Internet should be free to all15  votes
    71%
  • Yes, Google and Facebook make enough money, let them pay4  votes
    19%
  • I'm not sure1  vote
    4%
  • It will never happen1  vote
    4%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, we should all pay for content we use 
No, the Internet should be free to all 
Yes, Google and Facebook make enough money, let them pay 
I'm not sure 
It will never happen 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Mar-14

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Mar-14

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Mar-14

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-14

I voted #3, I follow this closely as Canada is going the same way as Australia. The sad fact is that journalistic media is being eroded on several fronts and will, I suspect, completely evaporate in its place will be a combination of state sponsored news and internet fantasy, IE: user generated opinion.

Until that happens I think Governments should force the conglomerates to pay for the news they aggregate on their services, at least that way we’re keeping local journalism alive to enlighten the most people in the fastest way.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-14

What if the tax was passed on to users?

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-14

Either you’re willing to pay for news or you’re not, if you’re not there is three reasons why, cheap, can’t afford, or lazy. I could be paying less for my local paper online sub by using Apple News, it’s considerably cheaper and I’d get access to much more but I don’t know who receives that money, so I pay more direct to my paper’s publisher.

CBC is Government funded entirely and therefore free, National Post (Postmedia chain papers) have enough freebies for me to get by and the Globe & Mail and WashPo offer subs for a $1 periodically and I cancel once the promotion ends and sign up once it’s back, which is with regularity.

I supplement with CNN, NY Times, Economist, Atlantic  as I can with their freebies.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-15

I don’t pay for news and can cobble together enough through other sources besides newspapers.  

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-15

Do you consider it a wasteful expense? Or is it more a matter of value for money, iE: I'm not getting enough from this to justify the cost. For me, I was raised to consume news in a particular way, Dad reading the morning broadsheet at breakfast and passing me each section as he finished it, watching CBC News The National every night at 10pm, subscribing to premium dailies periodically, National Post, G&M, these decision shaped my consumption.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-16

Grew up reading the big city paper, the local paper, which was more gossip than news, and watching the evening news, usually CBS or NBC and lasted, the morning shows.  As a young adult I got most news from radio.  Now I get it from a mix of radio, limited TV and online sources.  If a news site has a firewall I skip it.  I no longer subscribe to a regular newspaper as it kept shrinking and providing less for the price.  Then my subscription rate tripled and I cancelled it.