Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

966 Deaths from vaccine   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Mar-15 by WALTER784; 5149 views.
WALTER784

Apr-4

I seem to pick up at least 6 ~ 10 words no matter where I go. And I pay particular attention to pronunciation which I've discovered is very important. Even when speaking the same language, there are numerous dialects.

New Jersey is well known for it's dialect, Florida's southern drawl is another, then you have Texas too. Not to mention British English, but even then you have Scottish English, Wales English, Surry English, Australian English, Japanese English, Chinese English, Singaporean English, India English, etc. Do you remember the movie "My Fair Lady"?

Over the past 8.5 years, I've attended multiple vendor meetings for a new product launch which included:

Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic & Softbank (speaking mainly Japanese with very little English)

Capgemini (speaking India English)

Data Dimensions (Singapore English)

Acrom (speaking Romanian English)

SPAN (speaking Croatian English)

Coates (Australian English)

And occasional other vendors speaking French/German/Portuguese English as well.

There were always two translators in these meetings because no single one of them could understand all the English dialects translating Japanese to English or the various English dialects to Japanese.

But the point I wanted to make is that I baffled each and every one of them because not only could I speak fluent Japanese, but also spoke English to each and every one of them using their own dialects. The translators just couldn't get over it that I spoke so many dialects of English.

It comes natural to me to mimic the pronunciation of the person I'm speaking with. So I skip from Singapre English to India English to German English to Romanian English to Croatian English to Australian English in the same room with 16 or so other members.

They all ask me how I do it, but I can't really explain... it just comes out naturally.

And what's even more baffling is that I can speak German in either a true German accent, an English accent or a Japanese accent. Not to mention speaking Japanese in an English accent, English accent with a southern drawl, etc. (* CHUCKLE *)

Try to speak to a Frenchman in French but using an English accent and he'll turn his nose up at you. Try speaking to him in English using any English dialect and many will also turn their nose up at you. But speak to him in his native French accent and he won't turn his nose up at you.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-5

That is a talent.  You have a good ear for sounds.  Are you musically inclined too?

WALTER784

Apr-6

Showtalk said...

Are you musically inclined too?

I sung in the choir when I was young.

Mom taught me how to play a harmonica when I was 8 years old.

Played alto-saxophone in the 9th grade and trombone in 10th ~ 12th grades.

I tried picking at a guitar for a while but could never get my calluses hard enough to get a good sound.

And have been singing Karaoke in Japan for the past 40 years.

FWIW

Edited to add: [My dad is just the opposite... he says that he cannot even play a radio without getting static out of it! (* LOL *)]

• Edited April 6, 2021 12:18 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Apr-6

Then you are musical although a good sense of pitch and a good ear aren’t required for karaoke.

WALTER784

Apr-7

Showtalk said...

although a good sense of pitch and a good ear aren’t required for karaoke.

I guess that depends on which karaoke you go to.

In Japan, all the karaoke machines have AI intelligence programmed into them to check for pitch, tone, tempo, crescendo & allegro (soft and strong), rhythm, etc. So it's a big difference between a score of 60 and 99!!!

My average score is above 90 and my best score is 99.8! (* GRIN *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-7

Congratulations!  If ours had those features karaoke bars would go broke. 

WALTER784

Apr-8

Showtalk said...

If ours had those features karaoke bars would go broke. 

LOL...

FWIW

Marci (marcinmin)

Apr-26

Yes that is the point. Many people who got the shot early were Already vulnerable and high risk. To imply that their deaths were Cause by the virus is just reckless. 

Showtalk
Host

Apr-26

Don’t you mean to say their deaths were caused by the vaccine (not by the virus) is reckless?  The vaccine caused a disruption in their systems which led to their deaths but they were already close to dying and would have anyway. It’s very sad but we can’t blame the vaccine.

Marci (marcinmin)

Apr-26

There is no reason to conclude that the vaccine was responsible or otherwise. If someone has a heart condition. That is very difficult to do. Each case would be different. The vaccine might have been a contributory factor and may not have