Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should children vote for student positions on school boards?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Mar-19 by Showtalk; 939 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Mar-19

Should children vote for student positions on school boards?
  • No, a student board member has voting rights1  vote
    3%
  • No, children don't understand the issues2  votes
    7%
  • No, it gives students too much power over school districts2  votes
    7%
  • All of the above15  votes
    57%
  • Yes, it's just a student position, students should vote5  votes
    19%
  • I'm not sure1  vote
    3%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
No, a student board member has voting rights 
No, children don't understand the issues 
No, it gives students too much power over school districts 
All of the above 
Yes, it's just a student position, students should vote 
I'm not sure 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Mar-19

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-19

Interesting topic, coincidentally my Provincial Government just tossed a hand grenade on our education systems by amalgamating school boards and firing all the Trustees, replaced instead by a Government appointed board with only two parents represented.

Without going into too much detail I’m in favour of elimination of trustees, they’re incompetent and the infighting is incessant and it’s a rung on the political advancement ladder for too many, which is fine if they’d just admit that’s why they are there, rather than this “I’m doing it for the children” bs.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-20

Our system is different.  Our school boards are by districts which may or may not be by city. They usually have a superintendent who is hired by the district, and an elected school board.  If they have student positions they are there to give inputs, but I don’t think they vote.  

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-23

If the position is representing them, who else would vote for them?

Showtalk
Host

Mar-23

Voting adults in the community. It’s their tax money being spent, not their children’s.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-24

But should young people not have input into what happens in their school. I don't mean little children, obviously. I mean teenagers. How can an adult represent a young person who knows their peers and what they need?

Showtalk
Host

Mar-24

Middle school aged children are voting in a real election with financial consequences for the community. It’s absurd.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-24

And actual consequences for them... I don't understand why there is a student representative if it's not filled by a student?

Showtalk
Host

Mar-25

The position is and should be filled by a student, but should be chosen by responsible adults.  Ours is not a voted position, its appointed.