Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New type of harassment   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Apr-7 by WALTER784; 577 views.
WALTER784

Apr-7

We've all heard the terms sexual harassment and power harassment, but on Japanese TV today, I heard about a new type of harassment... they called it techno harassment! (* LOL *)

It seems that some of the younger generation have started harassing the elderly for not using Smartphones, PC's and E-mail.

Have you heard this in your area of the world?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-7

Not at all, but most elderly have smart phones. What do you think about it?

That specific thing no, but it seems to me the trend of transferring tasks to new media is leaving older folks behind in a way that encourages shaming like this.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-7

Encourages shaming?  What happened to respect for others who come before them?  I can see why it might happen but I don’t like the idea that it’s somehow their own fault, or that young people have no responsibility for their actions.

That’s not what I mean, prevalence and reliance on new technology, like paying most bills online now for example, or using tap for everyday payments, it’s common for anyone under 45, 50+ I think you start to see a sliding scale of ludditism and that could lead to what Walter is describing.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-7

I know some quite elderly people who are very adept at technology and younger ones who aren’t.  It more a personal thing than age.

I tend to think that’s the exception rather than the rule.

WALTER784

Apr-8

Well, both my wife and I are over 60 but we both have iPhones.

My Dad is 90 and only uses a flip phone.

Neither my wife nor my father use a PC.

FWIW

WALTER784

Apr-8

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said...

leaving older folks behind in a way that encourages shaming like this.

That's very disrespectful... I was always taught to respect your elders!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-8

Different generations.  It’s interesting that there is a big push now against anti Asian hate, which there should be. But what they don’t mention is that the colleges are discriminating against Asian students with a new affirmative action because too many of the prized spots at popular or elite schools are going to Asians. I mention this because there is much crime in some cities against elderly Asian people by the young who are beating them up and blaming them for Covid.  Or for being too successful.  It all started at the college level.  I mention this because it seems similar in attitude toward techno shaming of the elderly.  Our culture has enabled bullies to go after people for all kinds of reasons.