Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Which of these risky houses would you wa   The Curious You: Beliefs and Ideas

Started Apr-10 by WALTER784; 686 views.
WALTER784

Apr-10

Which of these risky houses would you want to live in?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

Sure, any one of them.  Or not. Which one do you like?

In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784

Apr-10

Hmmm....

The one overunder-hanging the cliff was astonishing to say the least.

I'm not afraid of heights, but I would have to know the strength of the rock above it as well as how it's anchored to the roof before I actually decide to move in. But the pool looks nice.

Oh, and how do you get up to it... (by car or do you have to hike 9 hours to get there?)

FWIW

• Edited April 10, 2021 11:14 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

How do you get groceries or furniture up to an isolated, risky house?

• Edited April 12, 2021 2:51 pm  by  Showtalk
WALTER784

Apr-10

Showtalk said...

How do you get groceries or furniture up to an isolated, risky house?

I dunno... hold a big net out and let a helicopter drop them to you? (* CHUCKLE *)

Like I originally said, how do you get to it by car or 9 hour climb?

But the construction material was delivered some how.

And as there seems to be a walkway from inside the cliff, I would imagine some kind of parking space the other side of that walkway entrance.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

They are gimmicky.

WALTER784 said:

I'm not afraid of heights, but I would have to know the strength of the rock above it as well as how it's anchored to the roof before I actually decide to move in. But the pool looks nice.

My guess, there's a structural steel cantilever that has been placed inside the rock or immediately under it, that then goes deep inside the cliff where it has a substantial anchor. The swimming pool on the outside where it would impart maximum stress to the rock is the dead giveaway that the overhang has to have been substantially reinforced. If there were a pair of, say, 20 inch I-beams, just barely hidden in grooves under the overhang, then those plastered over to look like unaltered rock, that could quite easily support the entire house. Then the remainder of the structure would be hung from the I beams to form the remaining structure of the house.

Another big mystery is, where does the sewer discharge go? Does it just free-fall from an opening on the underside to splash into the sea, or onto any unlucky boater who is directly beneath when someone flushes the toilet?

Electricity and fresh water could certainly be easily supplied by cabling and pipe that just follows the same path the support beams and entrance tunnel run, but sewage would likely have to be pumped uphill and back out the same way.

There's a lot of structural engineering that has to go into such a thing.

Finally the video finished downloading.

Showtalk said:

Howmdo you get groceries or furniture up to an isolated, risky house?

Probably with a basket lowered by cable down to a boat beneath. The put the stuff in the basket, you hit the "up" lever to the winch motor, and let a couple hundred feet of cable reel it in. There's a big spherical thing just above the hook, so when this hits a sliding piece of steel a foot below the winch, it cuts power to the motor.

The winches like this have a planetary gear setup and a fairly high RPM motor that has maybe 50:1 reduction ratio. So when the motor stops, the gear ratio alone has trouble overcoming friction.

The one I have also has a couple of cogs that engage a pawl when the motor is de-energized. When the motor has power applied, there is an electromagnet that disengages the pawl while simultaneously applying power to the motor windings, much like how the starter solenoid mechanism works on most General Motors type cars and trucks, where first the Bendix gear is pushed out to engage the flywheel, and as it seats into position, contacts close that energize the starter.

But it could also be a mechanism like in the Ford. The motor starts to rotate, which then disengages the locking pawl and then simultaneously engages the planetary gear to the motor shaft so the winch is never fully able to free-wheel.

Watching the video to see when they finally get to the cliff hanger house.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-12

Those boxy additions to apartment houses might not hold up well in a big earthquake.

• Edited April 12, 2021 2:53 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

Apr-12

If people build in strange and re our locations to save money, they lose any advantage if it costs that much more to access the buildings, to get supplies in or waste out.  They also see somewhat dangerous.  What if someone sleepwalks?