Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the homeless be housed in city parking lots?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Apr-10 by Showtalk; 1237 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Apr-10

Should the homeless be housed in city parking lots?
  • Yes, it is a good use of space0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, if it's temporary1  vote
    5%
  • No, where are drivers going to park?1  vote
    5%
  • No, they need a permanent housing alternative4  votes
    20%
  • No. Has anyone asked the homeless if they want to be moved?1  vote
    5%
  • 1 and 20  votes
    0%
  • 3 and 48  votes
    40%
  • 3, 4 and 53  votes
    15%
  • Other2  votes
    10%
Yes, it is a good use of space 
Yes, if it's temporary 
No, where are drivers going to park? 
No, they need a permanent housing alternative 
No. Has anyone asked the homeless if they want to be moved? 
1 and 2 
3 and 4 
3, 4 and 5 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

The proposed areas are prime real estate.  Residents are outraged.  Scenarios like this are going to play out all over the country as politicians try to change then nature of suburban areas to reflect other areas of their cities.

Nearly 15,000 Sign Petition Opposing LA Councilman Proposal To Establish Tiny Home Camps For The Homeless

A Los Angeles City Councilman has asked the city to examine whether it can up temporary housing for the homeless in several coastal communities, including Pacific Palisades and Venice, but strong opposition came Thursday to the idea.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-10

Voted other, this is a big issue in my Canadian prairie city where our homeless was exacerbated by a brutally cold stretch of winter that saw the homeless occupy transit shelters instead of actual shelters for a variety of access barriers, not all of which strike me as legitimate,

I think there’s two ways to think about housing people, do you want integration? Can people with and without money live together? That’s an egalitarian ideal and one I personally agree with but at the same time many in the homeless community overlap with people with addictions and severe mental health issues, if the services that cater to those is located away from where you’re housing them then that isn’t ideal either.

Thus you get this NIMBYism, people with money want all treatment, housing, drug markets to be located where skid row is, while some advocates believe in mixing with communities, a process I agree with as well.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-10

Skid row areas have been gentrified, so those are decreasing.  Most people want the homeless issue addressed, bu I think if pressed, they would say they want them in housing projects or areas designated for homeless. Except many homeless have mental issues or don’t want to live indoors.  

I see more empathy for the homeless than flat out NIMBYism, but at the same time, homeless encampments look and are messy. It’s like a group of hoarders all ended up in the same place, without walls or storage.  The camps are also smelly and unsanitary.  Those are big issues for any community. Not that the people are bad but they bring a chaos that most people don’t want to live with.  And maybe they should not have to.

The ideal situation would be some kind of safe, clean homes where the homeless and the community can all have privacy, without extra disease. I see both compassion and concern.

You also can’t group the homeless with the poor or working poor.  I would guess most poor families or individuals don’t want to live outdoors in filth.  And most don’t.  They are in some kind of housing units. 

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-10

Showtalk said:

I see more empathy for the homeless than flat out NIMBYism, but at the same time, homeless encampments look and are messy. It’s like a group of hoarders all ended up in the same place, without walls or storage.  The camps are also smelly and unsanitary.  Those are big issues for any community. Not that the people are bad but they bring a chaos that most people don’t want to live with.  And maybe they should not have to.

Its a different story here, there are two diametrically opposed sides to the issue, I agree the messiness of the encampments (trust me, we have them here too) are an issue, and frankly keeping your residence clean and tidy should be a part of the test for being out of endemic poverty, much like not using drugs and alcohol except in personal time and not when it can affect going to work or school, so not hard drinking or smoking meth on a Sunday night. 

Showtalk said:

Most people want the homeless issue addressed, bu I think if pressed, they would say they want them in housing projects or areas designated for homeless. Except many homeless have mental issues or don’t want to live indoors.  

Here the issue isn't that they want to live outdoors it's that "access barriers" prevent shelters and programs providing assisted housing aren't utilized, these range from women in this situation not wanting to be in the same place as men in this situation who are unpredictable and violent, fear of theft, exposure to christian proselytizing (if utilizing a Church program or shelter space).

Showtalk said:

The ideal situation would be some kind of safe, clean homes where the homeless and the community can all have privacy, without extra disease. I see both compassion and concern. You also can’t group the homeless with the poor or working poor.  I would guess most poor families or individuals don’t want to live outdoors in filth.  And most don’t.  They are in some kind of housing units. 

I'm speaking on this from the perspective of how it exists where I am, where the overlap between homeless and addicted is nearly a perfect ven diagram circle. My solution is to expose the at risk community to available resources, wait until they accept treatment, get clean, then treat the underlying psychological trauma that caused their addiction and displacement and only then can they be ready for integration back into civilized society and that integration has to be with other members of the community, a decent cross section of people from all income brackets or as close as it can get.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-11

Isn’t part of the disorganization from mental illness or addictions ongoing because they can’t or won’t give it up, or refuse to take meds? Or can’t find the right medications?

If someone is going to take free Christian charity, being prayed for and taught kind of goes with the package. I can understand women wanting to be separated from men in that situation.  

I agree addiction must be addressed, but is it due to dependence, weakness or self medicating of mental illness?

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-11

Showtalk said:

Isn’t part of the disorganization from mental illness or addictions ongoing because they can’t or won’t give it up, or refuse to take meds? Or can’t find the right medications?

Correct, where I am there's a big push to remove access barriers to program housing to allow drugs and alcohol use on site, too me this is the wrong way to go, part of test of being able to live in a stable residence is to prove you can do so in a state that is functional, so if you pass the test then you can use recreationally once you are no longer immiserated in poverty.

Showtalk said:

If someone is going to take free Christian charity, being prayed for and taught kind of goes with the package. I can understand women wanting to be separated from men in that situation.  

Again, this is why so few take advantage of Christian charity, especially here since our displaced people are nearly all indigenous, whose lives we ruined through catholic residential schools causing generational trauma affecting even their great grand children today.

Showtalk said:

I agree addiction must be addressed, but is it due to dependence, weakness or self medicating of mental illness?

Research I've seen through my academic work suggests that trauma (and it comes in many forms, doesn't need to be physical and often isn't) is the main cause if you work down enough, dependence springs from that, very little I think can be attributed to weakness at the outset, these are tough substances to quit cold turkey, which is why very few have done it, so I wouldn't describe any of these people as weak.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-11

Our politicians rarely talk about causes of homelessness. They focus on logistics and money.  Do those suffering trauma have PTSD?  

It’s unfair to throw all Christian charities under the bus and dismiss them as harmful. I disagree. People do take advantage of them and with that help, comes consequences.  As far as I know, if an unwed or poor pregnant woman wants to keep her baby,  the only charities willing to support her are religious based.  The government only wants to abort.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-11

Showtalk said:

Do those suffering trauma have PTSD?

Hard to say really, labelling mental illness specifically is a slippery slope.

Showtalk said:

It’s unfair to throw all Christian charities under the bus and dismiss them as harmful

I'm not suggesting that, I'm saying in the specific case of the indigenous peoples of Canada there was a cultural genocide committed by the State and the Church were on the front lines of that, it would be inaccurate to suggest every single indigenous residential school student experienced sexual abuse but so, so many of them did that we can officially label it a pathology.

Showtalk said:

As far as I know, if an unwed or poor pregnant woman wants to keep her baby,  the only charities willing to support her are religious based.  The government only wants to abort.

Not so in Canada, here it's the exact opposite.