Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How much is gasoline at the pump where you live? (current week cheapest you have   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 4/12/21 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 7706 views.
Showtalk said:

They ended up driving a lot of taxpayers out during Covid, so they lost all that revenue too.

And I have been reading numerous articles that many of those taxpayers, suddenly able to work remotely from places in, say, Nevada and Arizona, and live on 20 acres with a 10k square foot house for less than the rent in a broom closet in San Francisco, are likely to never return.

And some of the more enlightened corporations have figured out that there's no need to keep that "highscraper" in some of the most expensive areas of the nation, or all the taxes, the parking, the traffic, and other commuting nightmares.

Covid just shone a spotlight on long pre-existing problems with big dense coastal cities and forced a huge experiment that was mostly successful for white collar workers.

And they have voted with their feet to escape the onerous hassles of such places. So now they clog our streets.

Showtalk said:

But the weather is nice.

It was, today. Yesterday back through around Tuesday it was pouring rain. We got more rainfall from Wednesday through Friday than we did for the whole previous 12 months.

Friday I half joked that we needed to get all the animals into the Ark.

Showtalk
Host

5/1/21

They are going to be voting in Texas too.  Watch out.

Showtalk
Host

5/1/21

I meant CA has nice weather. I don’t know about Texas.

Showtalk said:

They are going to be voting in Texas too. Watch out.

Yeah. They are going to bring on the very problems they fled from in the first place.

It was sure nice today. Huge change from the -2 in February, although I know the 116 degree days are coming, possibly even as high as actually 120 to 122, although the "official" highs are only shown as around 112 to 113. They take the measurements over a watered manicured lawn, which can reduce the measured temperature by a good 15 degrees or more.

Some of us with logging temperature measurement hardware have captured readings of 50c several times over the past 5 years. That is 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

But it's a dry heat. So you sweat out a gallon per hour and have to drink at least that much to just stay hydrated.

Showtalk
Host

5/2/21

Unless they learn something else from living in Texas.

Showtalk
Host

5/2/21

Or use AC and stay indoors.  I’m wondering how Californians who end up in Montana deal with those kinds of color temperatures every winter.  The sad part is that those emigrants to cheaper places are pushing prices of everything uo to levels that previous residents can’t afford.  I know family who moved from an overpriced home in a blue state to a low priced city, paid cash for a nicer house and still had most of their profits left over, maybe 5-6 years ago.  Prices in their new area have risen so local residents can’t afford homes anymore.

• Edited May 2, 2021 11:37 am  by  Showtalk

It was $2.47 @ Sam's today when we went.  7-11 was $2.59.  This is in Plano TX., suburb northeast of Dallas

Showtalk
Host

5/6/21

We haven’t seen $2 gas in a while.