Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the jury have been sequestered in the Chauvin trial?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Apr-20 by Showtalk; 2447 views.
The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-22

I only read the comments, didn't see them live and haven't seen any video of them when she made the comments, only the printed comments which leave room for interpretation.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-22

I’ve heard all her comments this past year as the various news outlets have played them.  Pretty extreme for an elected official.  They should be calming down the public and offering reassurance, not inciting violence.  She can do so much for good if she wanted to.

WALTER784

Apr-23

Yes, the sentiment is also being placated across social news media towards getting the other three involved as well.

Watch — Leslie Jones After Derek Chauvin Conviction: ‘Let’s Go Get the Rest of Them Motherf**kers’

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/04/21/watch-leslie-jones-after-derek-chauvin-conviction-lets-go-get-the-rest-of-them-motherfkers/

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-23

I don’t have an informed opinion on the other three.  The media makes them sound guilty and I’m not sure why they didn’t stop Chauvin.  

WALTER784

Apr-24

Showtalk said...

I don’t have an informed opinion on the other three.  The media makes them sound guilty and I’m not sure why they didn’t stop Chauvin.  

Look forward for them to be pushed toward conviction as well... if that doesn't happen... I will be very surprised!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-24

It deoends a lot in the jury as to whether they are found guilty  or not. Chauvin was the senior officer and two were green rookies who had been taught they must never challenge a superior.  We all keep thinking what if one of them had stopped him? It would have been business as usual for Chauvin and the  rookies would have been fired.

WALTER784

Apr-25

Well, in Chauvin's case, because he was found guilty on all three charges due to a jury which wasn't properly sequestered, Chauvin now has the chance to go to two local appellate courts first to get the guilty verdicts overridden and if both of those fail, then he will probably take it all the way to the Supreme Court... but that could take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 years or more.

FWIW

Marci (marcinmin)

Apr-25

how do you know the jury was 'influenced?' The jury was instructed not to watch tv or the news and repeatedly affirmed they hadn't done so.

I'm sure there will be plenty of appeals, including incompetent counsel, but it is unlikely they are likely nor should they succeed.

As for Alan Dershowitz, he is a has been and I no longer pay attention to anything he has to say - ever since the O.J. Simpson trial

Showtalk
Host

Apr-25

This could drag on indefinitely at which point he will be eligible for parole, and then it won’t matter.  Are people guaranteed a swift appeal?

• Edited April 25, 2021 4:01 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

Apr-25

The judge said Maxine Waters’ comments provided grounds for appeal, so even the judge is not assuming jurors were unaware of the public commentary.  That alone sounds like influence.  Attorneys are saying the same thing.  Ideally they would not be influenced, but in practice, we can’t say without a doubt they followed instructions or that people around them didn’t talk to them.

The trial should have been moved and the jury sequestered.  Then there would be no doubt and no appearance of misconduct or influence. As it stands, people got the outcome they wanted and they are still not satisfied.

• Edited April 25, 2021 4:00 pm  by  Showtalk