Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the jury have been sequestered in the Chauvin trial?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Apr-20 by Showtalk; 2447 views.
Showtalk
Host

Apr-26

Finds cause of death, which was possibly due to drug use and heart problems. But would he have died that day and time if Chauvin had not cut off his airway?  Did you know that Floyd and Chauvin had some kind of earlier run in and that Floyd was known to Chauvin?  It’s possible he did want to kill him and thought his badge would provide cover.  The point is, we don’t know and the jury had to make a decision with what they had.

Showtalk
Host

Apr-26

This is a strange use of the idea of gaslighting, which is often used by the media now, as often as daily.  They really should not use that as an argument.  The irony.  The coroner posted the findings which stated Floyd was at serious health risk.  Yes, his condition would have killed him, but not at that moment.  It’s possible he would have died of drug use and medical conditions as soon as that same day, but we will never know.  I was horrified at the video and even if the findings are all true as stated, it doesn’t take away the impact of the video.  

WALTER784

Apr-27

I guess it depends on which report you read:

The autopsy report from Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office concludes the cause of death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." That conclusion, death due to heart failure, differs from the one reached by an independent examiner hired by the Floyd family; that report listed the cause of death as "asphyxiation from sustained pressure."

This medical examiner's report does not mention asphyxiation. However, according to prosecutors, in charging documents filed last week, early results "revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation."

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/04/869278494/medical-examiners-autopsy-reveals-george-floyd-had-positive-test-for-coronavirus

FWIW

WALTER784

Apr-27

Showtalk said...

But would he have died that day and time if Chauvin had not cut off his airway?

We'll never know the answer to that one and thus speculation is all that can be said about that.

Showtalk said...

Did you know that Floyd and Chauvin had some kind of earlier run in and that Floyd was known to Chauvin?

Yes, I read reports that the two knew each other... I think from some kind of club where Floyd used to be a security guard or something like that.

Showtalk said...

It’s possible he did want to kill him and thought his badge would provide cover.

I won't totally count that possibility out, but it would be hard to prove that he tried to use his badge to provide cover.

Showtalk said...

The point is, we don’t know and the jury had to make a decision with what they had.

Yes, but the jury also had to contend with the fact that if they did not find Chauvin guilty of all 3 charges, that somebody might torch their house or their town as well! There were threats about that.

I think the biggest problem is that the jury continued to use social media to get information even though they didn't watch the TV news channels. But that is yet another judicial issue which has yet to be mentioned.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Apr-27

There were problems that were impossible to mitigate. They did the best they could to give him a fair trial, which is was entitled to.  We haven’t discussed how the police feel about it. He is everything police departments don’t want in a police officer. He had a history of excessive force and should have been fired or removed from that position before anyone died, not after being caught on video.  Cops like Chauvin give all police a bad name even when undeserved.  His guilty verdicts should be seen as positives by the police.

WALTER784

Apr-28

Showtalk said...

There were problems that were impossible to mitigate.

Some yes, but not all.

Showtalk said...

They did the best they could to give him a fair trial, which is was entitled to.

Yes, he's entitled to a fair trial, but with what went down during the trial, I'm not sure whether one can really call it fair or not.

Showtalk said...

We haven’t discussed how the police feel about it. He is everything police departments don’t want in a police officer. He had a history of excessive force and should have been fired or removed from that position before anyone died, not after being caught on video.

I'm sure he probably was a PITA at the police department. But why he wasn't removed from his position sooner is also on the police department themselves as well!

Showtalk said...

Cops like Chauvin give all police a bad name even when undeserved. 

Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about that statement. If he gave police a bad name, then why didn't they remove him from his position sooner? Was he really all that bad? Only the police department themselves can answer why he was still allowed in his current position. Anything else is speculation. There may be information we haven't been made privy to and as such, I'm not going to comment either one way or the other without further information.

Showtalk said...

His guilty verdicts should be seen as positives by the police.

I think it will instill fear in a lot of police officers which in turn will make them less effective in the field and might even be the cause of some of their deaths in the future when hesitating before acting like they normally should have otherwise!

FWIW

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-28

WALTER784 said:

I'm sure he probably was a PITA at the police department. But why he wasn't removed from his position sooner is also on the police department themselves as well!

WALTER784 said:

Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about that statement. If he gave police a bad name, then why didn't they remove him from his position sooner? Was he really all that bad? Only the police department themselves can answer why he was still allowed in his current position. Anything else is speculation. There may be information we haven't been made privy to and as such, I'm not going to comment either one way or the other without further information.

The answer to this is police unions. 

WALTER784

Apr-28

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said...

The answer to this is police unions. 

Police unions as the cause... or as the answer?

I've never liked unions of any type.

FWIW

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Apr-28

Cause, of course if they reformed them maybe they could also be the solution but I don't see that happening.
WALTER784

Apr-28

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said...

Cause, of course if they reformed them maybe they could also be the solution but I don't see that happening.

Yep... but there's one thing I never could understand...

Why do federal and local governments require unions?

I mean... unions are usually for private companies to protect their employees from the ill wills of corrupt private companies.

We shouldn't have (and I say that with a big wide grin) corruption within our own federal and local governments, but that's an entire other story in and of itself.

I say do away with the unions and straighten out our government (federal and local) organizations so that they operate within the law!!! That would work wonders in correcting a multitude of problems in our government organizations!

FWIW