Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you believe in holding back math students for math equity?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started May-20 by Showtalk; 2319 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

May-20

Do you believe in holding back math students for math equity?
  • Yes, students who are poor in math feel bad they can't compete0  votes
    0%
  • No, good students should not be held back from taking advanced math9  votes
    34%
  • Yes, math instruction is systemically racist0  votes
    0%
  • No, wokeness is out of control!5  votes
    19%
  • 1 and 30  votes
    0%
  • 2 and 411  votes
    42%
  • Other1  vote
    3%
Yes, students who are poor in math feel bad they can't compete 
No, good students should not be held back from taking advanced math 
Yes, math instruction is systemically racist 
No, wokeness is out of control! 
1 and 3 
2 and 4 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

May-20

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

May-20

Voted other, this hits home for me, I really struggled in math in primary school right to the middle of grade 7 where it finally clicked and I got extra help with more resources in middle school, but I really should have been held back, it would have sucked, lowered confidence but these are important skills.

My opinion on this really changed when our resident mathematician in our education department at University went to media to complain that newly minted teaching graduates had little to no math skills and that this would lead to a vicious cycle of ineptitude in our school system, that was eight years ago and she’s been proven right with my Province being at the bottom of national test scores.

Showtalk
Host

May-20

There is a hidden and little known math disability called dyscalculia. People with it have extreme difficulty with numbers and math functions.  It can be taught by chasing methods and using other ways to teach math, like using a number line rather than rote memorization.  Also, much of math is rules.  Technically one can become proficient in math using a calculator to work problems.  There are many workaround that aren't taught in school.  But I don’t see any reason to hold back good students for those who aren’t.  Rather than changing curriculum, why not learn different teaching methods.

WALTER784

May-20

I don't believe in holding any student back in math or any other course for either equity or equality.

Schools are supposed to help kids advance... NOT regress!

But sadly, our current education system fails in that miserably!!!

I give them five consecutive -F's! (-F -F -F -F -F)!

FWIW

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

May-21

Too much of the education system is prioritized on teaching the largest amount of students in the most efficient manner, this blanket approach doesn't allow for many resources for individual attention, like those with learning disabilities you describe. In the same rigidity, newly minted teachers are trained in the same way, if you want to adjust learning methods you'd have to become specialized which means more post secondary. 

Showtalk
Host

May-21

I agree. I believe in better teaching.

Showtalk
Host

May-21

Yes, that is why parents should have affordable school choices, not one size fits all.  Even some of the best schools in terms of grades and where they go to college, teach poorly. The reason their students do so well is due to the parents, not the teachers or the district.  

WALTER784

May-22

Showtalk said...

The reason their students do so well is due to the parents, not the teachers or the district.  

Sadly, that cannot be said about all students or all parents.

But if the schools did a better job, even those students who didn't have parental assistance should have been able to do better.

It all boils down to a failed education system whose sole intent is dumbing down the masses.

FWIW

• Edited May 22, 2021 3:14 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

May-23

When a majority of students in a district do extremely well, it’s always because the parents hold education in high regard.  Communities that have a large majority of pro-education Asian parents very often have very successful students.  It was so prevalent in California, the top public universities were becoming predominately Asian. What they did next was shameful.  Affirmative action against Asian students.