Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you believe in holding back math students for math equity?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started May-20 by Showtalk; 2334 views.
WALTER784 said:

It ended up becoming a win-win for companies which could allow people to work remotely from home. But that didn't work in sectors where people had to go out and continue to work daily at construction sites, or other sites, etc.

>

Yep. While salt mines are mostly done by machinery, someone has to tend the machinery. And same for logging, for repairing fiber and installing stuff.

WALTER784 said: Thus with the rollback of the lockdowns now, many companies don't want to increase their floor space for everybody to come back into the office. Some companies in fact, moved their finance department, personnel department and various other departments out of the main HQ office and into lesser expensive places further away from the big expensive cities.

Some small exurb towns have really benefitted, although this might lead to the kind of gentrification that forces retirees out.

WALTER784 said: So post COVID, I see a continuing trend of this in sectors which can allow their workers to work remotely. But sadly, everybody can't do that. Another sad thing is that pre-COVID lockdowns, restaurants and drinking establishments around where the corporate headquarters are located saw a drastic drop in their customers due to this shift and lockdowns. Some have gone out of business while yet others are struggling to get back to full capacity... which doesn't look like it will ever be as full as pre-COVID!

Yep. There are whole sectors of that ecosystem that are gone forever, much like what happens on a coral reef when the primary sources of food shift to a different area from shifting currents.

But like the story in the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" some of the people who worked for those outfits might end up working out in a suburb or exurb or rural area, maybe trimming lawns or running a smaller town restaurant or two.

Depends on the kind of industry.

Where I am at now, they just had a big R&D and physical plant meeting over a new expansion, and they decided to build the new auxiliary building twice the size as the original drawings.  So sales and likely future production is going up.

Alfi (THIALFI) said:

How's the traffic there, Tex?

It is awful. Back to pre-pandemic levels at certain times of day.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-27

Disneyland is giving $1,000 signing bonuses because they can’t hire enough employees.

Showtalk said:

Disneyland is giving $1,000 signing bonuses because they can’t hire enough employees.

<holding thumb and forefinger against each other> World's smallest violin playing "my heart bleeds for them" - lol.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-27

People love the Disney parks but they can’t open without employees.

Showtalk said:

People love the Disney parks but they can’t open without employees.

Well, *some* people may love them. Others see it as a huge waste of time and money. Same with cruises and professional sporting events and concerts and stuff.

I guess some of us really don't need that kind of expensive escapism, especially if what would be spent on the travel and lodging and everything else could be put into a Roth IRA to grow tax free and make it possible to some day retire with more dignity.

Or it would buy another few hard drives, and micro-SD cards, and Raspberry Pi and assorted hardware to build some more doo-hickeys.